Chapter 17: Voices from the Cove

Shay's POV

I am suddenly awoke out of my sleep by the sound of singing coming from my open bedroom window. As I slowly make my way out of bed and out onto the balcony, I look out to see nothing but a night sky being illuminated by a bright and full moon, but something catches my eye, and I then just notice that walking onto the tourney field is what looks like Heidi dressed in a flowing white and blue dress, and some guy that is not far behind her just in a pair of boxers. The singing sounds like it is coming from somewhere deep in the forest but why would someone lure someone else into the forest, and then it hits me that there are only three sirens in Auradon, my mother who is locked away under a protection barrier, me who is couldn't be doing it since I am standing right here and lastly Heidi. The two of them head into the forest when I realize that Heidi is the one singing, and the guy is under her spell. I quickly and quietly rush back inside my room trying to wake my roommate, and head over to my closet and put on my long sleeved orange sweater, a pair of black jeans, and sneakers before rushing out of the room and try to catch up with Heidi and whoever she is singing too. I step onto the tourney field thinking to myself that I know for a fact that Heidi would never use her siren power like this, and more to the point that Heidi refuses to use that power at all because she finds it unstable and doesn't like what it does to the men that hear it. As I get closer to the forest that Heidi and the mystery man went into I can hear the singing getting louder, and I take a deep breath before starting my journey into the forest. I follow a path hoping that it is the right path because in the middle of the night someone could get easily lost in here, out of the corner of my eye is see Heidi and the guy walking through the forest with the poor guy looking like a lost puppy who has just found an owner, and while I take a closer look to see if I know the guy I have to keep a safe distance away because I don't want Heidi to know that I am following him. The guy doesn't look to familiar to me, but I do know that I have seen him hanging out with Arabella from time to time as of late. I soon find myself at what I am guessing is the enchanted lake, and looking around I can see why people say that it is the most beautiful place is all of Auradon. Heidi and the unknown guy stop right at the very edge of the water, Heidi backs up and starts leading him towards me, and this causing panic to rise in me because I need to come up with a plan quick. Having no other choice, I dive into some bushes just in the nick of time because right as I hit the forest floor Heidi and the guy walk past me. I let out a breath of relief. "That was too close." I mumble to myself picking myself up off the ground and I start following Heidi again, I see both of the walk up to a cave formation but something inside of me feels attached to this place for some strange reason, almost like I am being drawn inside the cave myself, but I duck down waiting for Heidi and the guy to go inside first, and once I know they are inside I slowly make my way inside only to find that Heidi and the guy seemed to have vanished into thin air without a trace. "What is this place?" I ask out loud looking at the walls of cave that have weird drawings on it, and once I look closer to the drawings I see that most of them are in the shape of mermaids and merman, and a few are shaped like a human with lines coming out of their mouth. As I am following the pictures on the walls I put together that the drawing are tell the history of something, I just can't understand what it is. I walk up to a group of rocks I see what looks like Poseidon with his trident, and three girls in front of him and I turn to another wall across from that picture to see a drawing of a boat with a pirate flag. "Now I get it, these aren't just any old drawings, these drawing are telling the history of how the siren came to be" I look in amazement because staring at me is part of my lineage, and who knows maybe some of these women in these drawings could possibly be my ancestors. My ears perk up upon hearing Heidi singing and the singing is coming from a large group of rocks over in the corner. I slowly make my way over to the group of rocks to see that a hidden door has been left opened. "I knew that they just didn't vanish." I smile at myself as I make my way through the doorway only to find a very narrow hallway, "Whoever made this place sure didn't want anyone to find it by mistake." I say, but I stop as Heidi's singing stops and the sounds of two voices up ahead are heard talking to one another. "Thank you for helping me Ennis." I at least know his name now. I get as close to the large opening as I can without being seen while I eavesdrop on the conversation from inside. "How can I be of services?" I hear Ennis ask and all is quiet for a moment but I hear Heidi answer him. "I have a task that requires your family legacy." This catches my attention because I wonder what Heidi is up too, and why she needs help from Ennis.