4 | 05

"What are we going to do??" I was starting to panic, but rather than feeding my fear, Optimus stayed level. In his normal gravelly tone, he ordered. "Duck." Without question, I did as he said. He transformed, and I felt myself falling towards the ground. Before I could hit the concrete, Optimus grabbed me. It was painful, but I was too busy being thankful that he didn't let me hit the ground and injure myself. "Rose, run!" Optimus hurriedly placed me on the ground, urging me to escape. "What about you?? I can't lose you, not again!"

Before I could say anything else, the Lamborghini raced around the corner. It transformed, tackling Optimus. To avoid being crushed, I had to run. It terrified me to leave Optimus, but I didn't have a choice. We were in an abandoned lot, and I ran into the unfinished building next door to us. It was open plan, but there was enough cover for me to utilise and evade the following vehicles. As I ducked behind a pile of rebar, I saw the rally car head into the abandoned multi-story parking lot. It still had a few black vehicles following it.

My heart was pounding in my ears, and I could barely breathe at this point. I hadn't been like this since Chicago. I tried to keep my emotions in check, barely managing to keep myself from panicking. I could either chase after Optimus and hope that Lockdown didn't spot me, or I could head out of the area and regroup with Cade and Tessa. And Lucas, god forbid I didn't murder him on sight for calling the government when I told him not to. I decided on the latter, making my way towards the other side of the abandoned lot, keeping to the shadows.

From above me, I heard gunfire, but it sounded as though it were ricocheting off the concrete rather than the rally car. Ignoring my instincts to get the hell out of there, I headed towards the sound of gunfire. Maybe I could find Cade. The bullets and engines grew louder as I ran out from under the first floor of the parking lot. Optimus wasn't too far off, battling Lockdown. I had to look up when the sound of an engine approached from above. Squinting from the midday sun, I watched in shock as the rally car jumped from a higher floor, heading down to where I was. "SHIT-"

I darted out of the way as the rally car landed on an incline of wood. It came to an abrupt stop, my adopted family clambering out. "Rose!" Tessa was the first to tackle me in a hug. "Hey Tess-" A blond man stepped out of the car, but Cade held me back before I could do anything. "I'll explain later, we don't have time!" Cade grabbed my hand, dragging me away from the car. It was then I noticed Lockdown on the building above us, holding some kind of metal almond shaped object in one servo. "Wait- Guys! My arm is stuck!"

We paused for a moment, finally remembering Lucas. He was stuck in the cars harness. "Lucas-" Tessa tried to run back for him, but Lockdown had clicked the object in his servo, and it started to beep uncannily like a grenade about to blow. I felt horrible leaving Lucas behind. But Cade was pulling me along, hoping to escape the blast range of whatever device Lockdown had just set off. The bounty hunter tossed it down to where we were running, and as soon as it hit the gravel, it was set off.

It was, in fact, just like a grenade. Except the affected blast range was turned into metal. The same metal that Cybertronians were made of. I could hear it exploding right behind us, but I kept running. I didn't stop until we were beside Optimus, who had pulled up in his altmode. I ushered everyone else into his altmode before climbing in myself. Lucas didn't follow. I could see a metal human skeleton in the middle of the affected area from the grenade, and it looked like it was dripping seared flesh. Poor Lucas.

As soon as everyone was inside his altmode, Optimus took off, heading for god knows where.

| | |

We'd been on the road for a few hours now. We had to stop for the night, so Cade tried to get some cash out using a drone he'd grabbed while escaping from Savoy and his team. He'd flown his card to the ATM with the drone, but we didn't have any luck. His account was frozen, and mine probably was too. Just minutes after Cade had attempted to get cash from the ATM, a squad of police cars turned up in the small town, forcing us to go on the run again. I barely got any sleep during the night, but Cade managed to nap using my lap as his pillow.