5 | 29

Theme: Lost Souls

Song: On and On by The Score

In that one moment, I could have missed the staff. I could have fallen to my death. I could have let the world fall to ruin. But, against all odds, I managed to grab onto the staff. Somewhere in the background, I could hear cheering, but I did my best to ignore it, focusing on nothing but the staff. It was lodged into the floor of the ignition chamber, but since we were currently upside down, I had to utilise the anti-gravity space.

Holding on with a death-like grip, I managed to flip myself so my feet were planted on the roof, and I was digging my fingers into the metal staff. As I tried to pull on the staff, a burning pain began to rip its way through my head, starting in the back of my skull, racing like wild-fire to consume the rest of me. It ceased when I stopped pulling, and I had to take a moment to breathe. My head was pounding now.

"COME ON ROSE!" I heard the voice of my brother screaming at me to get it over and done with. Once the staff was out, Cybertron would stop tearing Earth to pieces. Millions of people were probably dying right now because of me. Fuck off Quintessa! I shouted in my head, mainly because this bitch would not give up. Hopefully, she heard it. Preparing myself for the surge of pain again, I gripped the staff, taking rapid deep breaths.

For my family. With all my strength, I started to pull the staff up again, and it moved just an inch when the intense pain began to electrocute my systems again. Pushing through it this time, I kept going. But a ragged scream escaped into the air as my body battled against me to shut down. But I refused to let it do so, biting my tongue so hard I tasted blood. Come on Rose, you can do it!

The pain lessened slightly as Bee took on as much as he could, making it easier for me to pull the staff further from its slot. It was only halfway when my knees started to wobble. The pain was getting on my nerves at this point. I could have done this long ago, but Quintessa was insistent on murdering millions while destroying our home planet. It was absolutely barbaric.

I could feel the knife in my jeans begging to be used. To take a life not my own. And I knew just how to use it. Below me, Quintessa was currently fighting off Optimus and Bee. So, gathering up all the strength I could muster, I forced my body onwards, ripping the staff from its slot. The blue electricity ceased, and Quintessa screamed in anger. The anti-gravity had returned to normal gravity now that the staff was no longer being controlled, meaning I was now falling.

With the staff in one hand, I fumbled for my dagger with the other. The blade was glowing slightly as I clutched it, squeezing the handle tightly. My descent didn't concern me. Neither did the rushing, thumping sensation in my head. I was solely focused on the being beneath me, who was rapidly approaching as I gained speed. She was facing off against Optimus, who could clearly see me coming.

"You cannot defeat me!" Quintessa hissed, but as Optimus dodged her attack, I got into position, my dagger ready to kill Quintessa. "Say hello to my friend-," Quintessa stopped her erratic movements at Optimus' words, allowing me to perfect my trajectory. "-Rose." Before Quintessa had the time to do anything, I had landed on her shoulders and buried my dagger in the side of her neck, right up to the hilt.

Her scream of pain seemed to resonate right down to my bones, the connection between us cracking as her life came to an end. Not leaving anything to chance, I ripped out my dagger, plunging it into her neck several times. I found myself unable to stop, repeatedly stabbing until she stopped moving. My dagger was still glowing, and my chest heaved as Quintessa struggled to stay in the air.

As I tried to stab through her spark, she hissed again, grabbing my arm. I struggled in her grip, forcing my dagger closer to her spark. "Give up," I snapped, squeezing the handle of my dagger so hard I thought it might shatter in my grip. "It's over!" At my words, she roared in anger, and I was thrown off her with startling speed.

I was heading straight for an opening in the hull of the ignition chamber. We were still thousands of feet in the air. I would definitely die from a fall this high up. "BEE!" Unfortunately for me, Bee was too far away to do anything. The vacuum of air was sucking me closer to the hole, and I could do nothing about it. He started panicking, kicking one of the last Infernocons off him as he struggled towards me.

As Quintessa's power waned, so did my strength. And as I grabbed onto a piece of debris lodged into the side of the hull, my grip slipped. I managed to hold on, but I wouldn't be able to for long. Bee was getting closer, taking fallen debris as hurdles, blasting his way through anything else that kept him from me. My fingers ached from holding on so tightly, but I didn't dare entertain the thought of letting go for long.

I needed Bee. I needed him more than anything, and I couldn't die today. Not when I'd come so far already. "Bee," He was so close. Just a few more metres. Hold on princess, just hold on- His words through the bond turned to an agonised screeching noise, jagged and echoing from his stereo as my body gave up on me, the vacuum of air sucking me out of the ignition chamber.

Again, I felt the rushing air against my skin. My eyes were closed, as I no longer had the strength to keep them open. The ground was far below me, so I had accepted at this point that I was going to die. And yet, I wasn't scared. I was actually kind of... happy. Glad to be away from this wretched world. But I was also leaving behind what little family I had left.

And Bee... Poor Bee. But he would get over it. I was only human after all. Only human.

Third Person POV

From the ground, a certain bot noticed the descent of Rose. She was falling fast, and he was going to have to act quickly to save her. Megatron was MIA, and only a few Decepticons were left. So the bot hurried towards the human girl, his optics trained on her to accurately project where she was going to land.

The closer she got to the ground, the more his spark pounded with fear. He rarely felt fear. But now, he did. That girl was meant to be his. And it would hurt Bumblebee for her to be taken from him, which was a win-win situation for the bot. He was getting closer to her. She was hurtling towards the ground, and he would be damned if he didn't save her.

So he ran with all his might, focusing on nothing but Rose. And before she could make contact with the ground, leapt towards her, diving into a roll as she landed in the palm of his servo. As he came to a skidding stop on the grass, he hesitantly opened his servo. Relief flowed through his processor as he found Rose alive and somewhat well. Her pulse was weak, as was her heartbeat. There was a wound on the back of her head, bleeding profusely.

A tiny prick of disdain for her weak state and bodily fluids getting on his paint made his inner workings tighten in disgust momentarily, but as he looked at her unconscious body for a long moment, he gave in. He transformed, making sure she was settled in the passenger's seat of his altmode, before taking off across the grassy plain. Cybertron's invasion of Earth had been halted. The Decepticons had failed. And now, he had the girl.

~*~

IT'S SHORTER THAN USUAL, I KNOW. BUT THIS IS THE LAST CHAPTER OF FAMILY TIES. THERE'S AN EPILOGUE COMING THOUGH, SO DON'T WORRY. BOOK SIX IS ON IT'S WAY TOO! <3