Midnight Drive (Jesse x Axel)

(Let's try a new ship shall we?)

"We're out of milk." Axel announced, standing at the bedroom door as Jesse looked up from his book.

"Seriously Axel?" Jesse rolled his eyes. "We just bought it two days ago! What have you been doing with it? Washing your underwear?"

Axel smirked. "That's what happens when you have someone like me. Didn't you agree to marry me and I warned you beforehand that I freaking eat everything?"

Jesse closed his book and slid off the bed, yawning. "As a matter of fact," he stretched, "I agreed to marry you because you're huggable." he teased.

"Oh shut up and get in the car. The drive shouldn't be too long." Axel replied and headed back to the living room as Jesse pulled on his hoodie. However... Jesse felt that something was wrong.

His instincts told him to stay in the house. And his instincts were never wrong after all... maybe he should warn Axel. "Hey Axel," he called as the other guy threw his keys into the air and caught it again, waiting impatiently.

"Jesse, seriously, I need to make my cereal before I go to bed. You don't want me to pester you all night do you?" Axel laughed, pulling on his coat and heading out the door.

"I... okay." Jesse sighed, following him. Maybe he should just ignore that nagging feeling right now.

Jesse opened the car door and hopped into the passenger seat; with Axel driving beside him. Jesse smiled, remembering the day Axel had insisted on driving everywhere ever since he got his license.

Jesse unplugged his phone and chose some music while Axel pulled out of the driveway and headed downtown to the store.

The good thing about Axel was that he wasn't picky about the songs Jesse chose. He was grateful that Axel didn't judge him. And he was perfect.

Jesse smiled to himself and settled back in his seat, looking up at the road as light occasionally flashed past, illuminating the road with light from the street lamps above.

"Oh hey," Jesse said in an accusing tone as he looked down and pointed at the clock. "You dragged me out at midnight just to buy some milk?"

Axel smirked, laughing a little. "Is that the time? Whoops."

Jesse playfully hit Axel's arm, turning away to look out the window again. "Don't hit me," Axel's voice interrupted his thoughts as he pulled into the empty space of the nearly deserted store. "I'm driving."

Jesse rolled his eyes, feeling a little bit annoyed as he climbed out of the car. There wasn't anyone around, except for a police car and another small blue car.

"Huh. Looks like midnight drives are good." Axel said, looking around. "I mean, there's barely anyone around."

"Because they're all normal human beings who sleep at night and wake up in the morning, Axel." Jesse groaned, rubbing his eyes as Axel pushed open the door, a bell signalling their entrance.

Another guy around their age stood at the counter, counting out some money but they just ignored him as Axel headed for the fridge to get the milk. "Is there anything else?" Jesse asked, looking over his shoulder to look at the wide assortment of dairy products.

"Cheese. Strawberry milk. Oh hey.." Axel trailed off, staring at the pink liquid, "Do you think strawberry milk comes from pink cows or something?"

Jesse hit his arm again, smirking. "Jeez, just go and pay."

Axel pulled Jesse in for a kiss on the cheek, and smiled. "Alright. You can wait in the car if you want."

Jesse shrugged, shoving his hands in his pockets as Axel went over to pay for the milk. Jesse and the lime eyed cashier glanced at each other but the green eyed boy didn't really think much about it. Probably just another guy he's seen around.

Jesse pushed open the door and walked outside, his shoes crushing the gravel as he walked, slowly making his way to their car.

After a few minutes, Axel emerged from the store, smiling a little and waving at Jesse.

Jesse smiled and bit his lip. That nagging feeling was back again, but he couldn't explain what it was...

"Let's go home, I think I'm sick." Jesse rubbed his nose, glancing over at a few teenagers as they smoked, blowing the grey smoke into rings and laughing loudly. It was rather annoying, but Axel smiled and pulled Jesse towards the car.

"Do you know who I saw in there?" Axel asked as Jesse pulled open the door and slid onto the seat. "In where? The store?" Jesse asked, trying to force down that nagging feeling.

"No, my mom's house."

Jesse raised an eyebrow, making Axel grin. "Sorry, I forgot it's midnight-"

"Stop reminding me."

"And you're probably gonna kill me the moment we get home." Axel laughed.

"Anyway," Axel pulled out of the driveway as the teenagers made some rude gestures at the both of them and Jesse shot one right back at them as Axel drove away.

"That cashier? That lime eyed guy? There's only one person who looks like that back in school."

Jesse frowned, looking over at Axel, unable to think clearly since he was tired and just wanted to crash down onto his bed and cuddle with Axel the moment he arrived home.

"Aiden. You know."

"Oh.. that guy who gave me many nightmares and constantly bullied me on the playground? Sure." Jesse said sarcastically as Axel glanced over at him.

"Well, we have to thank him, to be honest. If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have met."

Jesse sighed, resting his head against the seat and nearly closing his eyes. "Hey," Axel looked over at Jesse tapped his hand. "Don't sleep yet, we're almost home."

Suddenly Axel gasped, making Jesse's eyes widen as Axel turned the wheel, steering them away from the speeding oncoming car. "Hold on!" Axel exclaimed, yanking the wheel to the left and-

There was a loud crash as Jesse nearly flew out of the window if it wasn't for Axel's arm, which shot out and pushed him back into the seat. But Jesse did hit his head pretty badly against the back of his seat, making him instantly pass out.

***********************

Jesse opened his eyes, feeling sick. Where... he tried to move his legs but they seemed to be stuck, but at least he could move his arms. It took a few minutes as Jesse looked around. He smelled burning rubber as glass rained around him. Did... did they just crash?

"Axel?" he managed to whisper, looking around and ignoring the burning pain in his legs. "Axel!" he managed to yell, moving around to find his friend. Clenching his teeth to not scream in pain, Jesse dragged his legs out from beneath the metal.

He coughed, inhaling more of the stink of petrol as he tried to pull himself out of the wreckage of the car. Hopefully Axel made it out safely... Jesse tried to stand but he was too dizzy. He held his head with one hand, and when he pulled away, blood glistened on his palm.

"What happened.?" he muttered, his throat sore as he looked back at the mangled car. And...

Jesse gasped, instantly trying his best to check what... what that was. That couldn't be Axel. "No no no.." he muttered, wrapping an arm around his stomach as he tried to make his way towards him.

After some wincing and the tears dripping onto the concrete, Jesse pulled Axel close. His eyes were closed and.. he wasn't breathing. There was a huge piece of glass embedded in his chest, and one of his eyes was swollen and red.

"Axel.." Jesse murmured, trying to wake him up. "AXEL!" he yelled, his stomach hurting from the force. "Please wake up! You can't die!"

Jesse looked up when he felt someone's hand on his shoulder and someone pulling him away from his dead best friend. "Axel!" he cried, trying to pull away but the doctors were too strong.

The last thing Jesse saw was a couple of paramedics around Axel, trying their best to revive him but with no result...

"Axel.." Jesse muttered, trying to see past the others so he could see Axel one more time but.. he was too late.

-End

(If you're surprised, what did I say? It's dark!)