The Stars (Jaiden)

Dedicated to: AidenTheAuthor
(remember the necklace?) :)

(Jesse x Aiden)

"When I die, I'm willing to join them up there." Aiden was saying as the two boys gazed up at the tiny pinpricks of light up in the dark blue sky.

Jesse looked up as well, fingering the blue flower crown he held in his hands. The same crown Aiden had promised to make for him way back in kindergarten. Now that the two boys were grown up and more mature... they couldn't help but spend more and more time together.

They weren't dating. Not yet. But the prospect of dating scared Jesse. Since he wasn't sure if Aiden really liked him that much. Over and over again, Jesse doubted himself, wondering if Aiden actually liked him as more than a friend.

Aiden did give him some hints though... the way he smiled at Jesse or the jokes they exchanged back and forth in school if they had different classes. Or that infamous accident when Aiden tripped over his own shoelaces, making everyone in the whole cafeteria laugh and jeer at him.

But it was Jesse who helped him up. And it was also Jesse who had passed him a notebook with his email written on it. So it felt as if Jesse had taken the first step, offering Aiden a friendship he couldn't reject.

Maybe Jesse felt that he was rushing this relationship... wanting to become more than friends. He rubbed his eyes, feeling the tension building up in his head. "What's wrong?" he heard Aiden's soothing voice ask as Jesse massaged his temples.

"Headache, but it's okay." he smiled, setting down his hand despite the pain. He didn't want to make Aiden worried after all. And when Aiden was worried or anxious... it took a lot to calm him down.

No, Jesse had to think about the present time, which was now, spending time with a boy he truly loved. "Hey Aiden?" he asked, still looking up at the sky, scattered with stars.

"Hmm?" the other boy asked, his gaze remained fixed on the lights as they lay on the grass. Jesse tried to gather his courage, trying to speak his mind but it was so difficult. He wanted Aiden to love him. He wanted Aiden to finally hold him in his arms or care about him the way a relationship should work.

Not... as just friends.

"Aiden," Jesse took a deep breath, but the nervousness in his voice must've tipped Aiden off, because the other boy glanced over at him.

"What's wrong?" he repeated, his fingers touching Jesse's slightly as he turned to him.

"I... um.. I don't know how to really say this, but.. I-I-"

Jesse's eyes widened when he felt Aiden take his hand and pull him closer, a small smug smile on his face. "Yeah?"

Jesse's face heated up even more, frozen. "Silly Jesse. You don't think I wouldn't have noticed?" Aiden laughed at the expression on his face. "Y-you mean.?" Jesse trailed off as Aiden sat up, pulling Jesse with him.

Aiden bent his head and unlocked a necklace hanging around his neck. It was a simple thin black chain with a golden star glimmering at the end. Jesse knew it was always around Aiden's neck. Every time, every day. Jesse couldn't remember how but as soon as he discovered that he liked Aiden...

He noticed the many ways which made him love him more.

The way Aiden chewed on his pencil when he was trying to think or the way he laughed, which sounded like a breath of calm wind, making everyone smile. The tiny strand of brown hair that fell in his eyes and the way he would always try to tuck it behind his ears.