A Witches' Spell (Jesskas)

"I've got them!" the brunette held up a blue spotted mushroom, giggling as he placed it carefully into the basket he was carrying.

"Not bad, young one." Ivor nodded, "Now come, we have a lot to learn before daybreak. And take care of the mushrooms, Jesse, they're quite fragile."

Jesse nodded, happily skipping over to Ivor and following him back to the house where they lived.

Ever since Ivor found Jesse in the woods five years ago, the nine year old boy had been living with the seventy-five year old alchemist.

But Jesse was different because it was clear that he wasn't a human at all. He was a witch. The type who befriended cats of every colour and the one who would experiment with Ivor's herbs and medication to create potions.

And that was normal within the lands of the Overworld, since it was a place with dragons and magic. But witches were extremely rare, and it was a wonder why Ivor even found the poor child abandoned in the woods.

Either which, the two lived together peacefully, occasionally stopping by the town to visit the stores or to trade with the locals. It was an easy life Jesse was used to.

As the sun started to rise, Jesse and Ivor approached their house, wanting to finally create that potion which Jesse has been working on for the last few days.

"It's a get-well soon potion!" Jesse had told the older man, who was surveying the simmering copper cauldron which was bubbling with strange blue liquid.

"What does it do, young one?" Ivor asked as he watched Jesse throw in some random flowers and even a bark of a tree.

"The name already tells you what it does, silly!" Jesse had laughed, stirring the half finished potion. "It helps people get better!"

Even though witches were portrayed as evil or cruel, Jesse didn't have a single evil bone in him. Maybe except when he was deprived of his usual snack of lemon chicken at the stalls.

Man, that kid can eat.

Anyway, the little boy was always caring, kind and considerate to people, even helping them whenever they needed it.

However, the only thing he lacked was confidence in himself. He was always so worried that his potions would not work.

"My mom and dad mustn't have liked me," Jesse confessed to Ivor one day as they were drinking mushroom stew.

"They threw me away.. just because I'm a witch. Maybe I need to make a potion one day which will lead me to them. And I can prove that I'm good at brewing.."

Ivor didn't know what to say at that time, since he was a listener, not a talker.

Present day Ivor watched as Jesse hopped onto the little step stool he had to peer into the cauldron.

The brunette was a little short for his age and therefore, couldn't see the contents of the cauldron.

The alchemist watched as Jesse pulled out the blue spotted mushrooms and cut them into slices, making them emit a sudden burst of lapis blue smoke.

"Aww they would make good fireworks, Ivor!" Jesse grinned as he tipped the mushrooms into the bubbling water.

"Focus on the task, young one." Ivor reminded him as he watched carefully, noting down whatever Jesse did. The kid nodded, sticking his tongue out in concentration as he carefully took out a glass vial of green liquid to tip a single drop into the cauldron.

"Okay, I just need a.. a.." Jesse looked at Ivor, who gestured for him to complete his sentence, "A.. mandrake root. Right?" he smiled, caning confidence as Ivor presented him with the plant.