Infection (Jesskas)

"Shit shit shit." Lukas muttered harshly as he brought Jesse to the back of the warehouse they had used as their base.

But it was hardly a base anymore, since the raiders had stormed the place and killed everyone living in it.

There was barely any natural daylight left but the both of them could see each other just fine, thanks to the light from the lamppost above them.

"I'm fine Lukas, stop worrying," Jesse grimaced, holding his arm as thick crimson blood spilled from the slashed wound. As seconds ticked past, the wound started to bleed even more and patches of white flaky skin started to form.

"No you're not fine! Stop saying that!" Lukas replied, taking off his backpack and searching though it, presumably looking for a clean cloth.

"Lukas," Jesse took the male's trembling hand, stopping him. "It's no use. We both know when our time is up." the broken blue eyes stared in the watery green ones, just holding the eye contact.

They flinched when a shout rang out from the front of the building, followed by gunshots and screams of the citizens. The entire town was being raided and there was nothing they could do to stop them.

Lukas shook his head, his vision clouding as he stared at the brown haired boy, still holding his wrist close to his chest.

"N-no. I cant leave you like this. We have to keep moving till- till we find a way to treat your infection-" Lukas said in a frenzy.

"No." Jesse whispered firmly, grabbing  Lukas's cheeks and kissing him as hard as he could, feeling the sticky salty tears streaming down his cheeks.

Lukas's cold lips trembled as he froze, his own hands still wrapped around Jesse's marked wrists.

"I'm sorry I took so long to tell you." Jesse whispered against the other boy's lips as the gunshots grew louder.

Lukas didn't reply, his eyes bloodshot and his vision blurry with tears.

"I'm sorry-," Jesse hissed and grabbed his wound as it stung with unbearable pain. "I'm sorry I didn't listen.." he whimpered as Lukas forced his own mouth shut with his hand, "I'm sorry for all the things we could've done but never did."

"Stop apologising!" Lukas cried, "Please stop saying sorry, Jesse! I'm never going to leave you."

"Over here!" Jesse heard a voice exclaim as gunshots shot the ground in front of them.

Without hesitation, Lukas scooped Jesse up and carried him, away from the gunfight.

Each step Lukas took made him stumble more and more, since the terrain was uneven and the fact that he had sprained his ankle the day before.

And it made Jesse feel even more guilty as his arm started to steam, his body working had to repel the disease which was slowly killing him.

"Lukas, it really-" Jesse dug his nails in his wound, wanting to just tear his arm out so he could ease the pain. "Hurts.. please stop.." he cried, "Please let me go." he whimpered.

Lukas shook his head stubbornly, fighting back more tears before falling into the snow with Jesse still in his arms.

The weaker boy sat up as much as he could as he felt his feet start to grow numb. He didn't have enough time..

"Hey," Jesse placed a hand on Lukas's cheek, cradling him close as they were hidden from view. "Everything's gonna be alright." the boy whispered.

Surprisingly, he didn't feel afraid for himself.

He didn't feel scared of death.

He was just scared for Lukas, who seemed paralysed with shock. "But I.. don't want to lose you."

Jesse placed a hand on the hard packed snow, steadying himself as the world spun. He had no choice. "You'll have to let me go eventually Lukas.."

They both of them flinched when they heard a gunshot, right over the wall where they were hiding.

Jesse took a deep breath, feeling the cold start to creep on him again, numbing the pain. "We don't have time." He reached into his coat and pulled out a box.

Opening it, Jesse pulled out a simple silver ring. Judging by the shine and gleam on it, Lukas could tell that the other boy had poured so much time and love into the small metal object.

"Promise me," Jesse took Lukas's hand, slipping the metal band onto his ring finger.

The two boys looked down at their hands, one numb with cold and the other infected with deadly virus.

Jesse knew that the infection was probably near his heart by now, slowly but surely killing him as they spoke.

"I love you, Lukas," he laced his finger's with the other male's. "Don't ever forget that."

Lukas didn't cry, he just sat in the snow, silent as his body trembled with coldness. Silent consideration. "I..." Lukas began but they were both interrupted by a loud gunshot again, this time, right beside them.

When this infection started, Jesse had heard rumours about the strange disease. Moments before their dying breath, the victims would experience a hallucination.

Some said that they could see time slow down. Or some said they could see the spirits of the other people who had fallen in the hands of death. But Jesse had never believed in such stories, always dismissing them as fakes.

The brunette pushed Lukas out of the way, shoving him right into the side of the wall as the bullet shot right at him. And in those few seconds... he could confirm that time did slow down... or maybe that was just the trick of his mind.

Jesse didn't know what happened after that. But he saw the blood on the snow, and the smell of it just making his vision tunnel.

But nothing broke him as much as Lukas's scream of shock and fury.

Jesse fell sideways onto the powdered snow, his eyelids growing heavy as he saw Lukas pick up a gun with shaky hands and fired at the man who shot him. Jesse's freezing hands clenched the snow as his entire body was wracked with pain.

Lukas never shot anyone before...

He dropped the gun and scrambled over to the dying boy, a bullet wound near his heart and his shoulder, the bleeding even worse than before.

"Jesse? Jesse, can you hear me?!" Lukas pleaded, cradling his head in his arms as Jesse watched the sky grow dark.

"Lukas," Jesse whispered, looking straight at him as his voice stopped, the infection almost finishing him off. Lukas shook his head, gripping Jesse's hands in his own.

Jesse could barely form the last three words he wanted to say to Lukas before he finally felt himself fall into darkness.

"Jesse?"

"JESSE PLEASE DONT LEA-."

"Lukas-?"

The boy snapped out of his thoughts, looking around for the source of the voice.

"What is it?" Lukas snapped, glaring right at Aiden as the he spun the knife in his hand over and over again.

"Okay jeez, I was just checking in on you dude." the lime eyed boy raising his hands.

"If it concerns our survival, I'd listen but other than that, I don't care." Lukas let his cigarette drop to the muddy brown grass.

No one knew about Lukas's past...

And he kept it that way.

Lukas clenched his jaw, fingering the metal ring as he looked back at the abandoned building they were nearby.

Maybe some memories were best left forgotten.

-End