Step 20: Don't let your neighbor escape!!

*EDITED*

Jamie's POV

 When I got back to my apartment, I went straight to my room and started changing into my PJs. 

  Apparently, June had met Xiu on her date with Greg. She was a waitress at the new restaurant near the beach. She said that Xiu was taking a gap year and wanted to just hang out in a whole bunch of cities, but when she saw this one, she decided to stay. 

  I was truly happy for June, and I was glad that she had finally found someone.

  With a smile on my face, I locked up my apartment and knocked on Eli's.

  The door creaked open and once again, revealed Eli's morose face. Just like that, my smile disappeared. He stepped aside to let me enter and I did so. I fell onto the couch and watched as he did the same.

  "I'm sorry we couldn't talk earlier, June just--"

  "I understand," he muttered.

  I furrowed my eyebrows.

  "What's going on, Eli? You were doing fine this morning, and now.......You can talk to me, you know that, right?" I said, grabbing his hand.

  He gave me a small smile, but it didn't reach his eyes.

  "I know I can. You're so......trustworthy and special, Jamie. And I enjoyed our time together. Honestly." Eli gave my hand a squeeze before letting go and standing up. He filled up a glass and took a sip.

  I stared down at the floor.

  "'Enjoyed'. You say that in the past tense. I think you mean 'enjoy'." I let out a small laugh.

  He wouldn't look at me.

  "No. I meant it. Past tense." he said.

  Then I stood up.

  "Well, what do you mean by it?"

  He sighed.

  "You remember how Barry came over this morning?"

  I nodded.

  "Well, he told me that there were two big law firms that were willing to accept me."

  I smiled.

  "Oh, my God! That's amazing, Eli! I'm.....I'm so happy for you!"

  He still didn't look up at me for what felt like hours. Then he spoke.

  "Jamie......the firms are in New York City."

  My eyes widened and I found myself looking down at the wooden floors. But I couldn't - no, wouldn't - believe this.

  "W-What?" I asked, my voice hoarse with a bubble of emotions I was trying to keep down.

  He looked up and met my eyes. Blue clashing with brown. The sky and rich soils. The ocean and the earth. 

  "The firms are in New York City."

  I felt like someone threw a 50-pound weight at my stomach. I fell onto the couch and stared mindlessly at whatever was in front of me.

  "New-New York City?" I mumbled.

  His lack of response was the only answer I received and needed.

  I looked down.

  "So, are you-you planning on accepting these offers?" I asked as I looked back up.

  Eli scratched the stubble on his chin.

  "I wasn - I'm, I don't know."

  I didn't know whether to smile at the fact that he wasn't hell-bent on going to NYC, or be sad that he wasn't completely hell-bent on staying here.