Epilogue

*EDITED*

Jamie's POV

"No."

  "Yes."

  "No!"

  "Yes!"

  "No."

  "Yes."

  "No."

  "No."

  "Yes--shit." I groaned, "You can't make me do this!"

  Eli held the phone closer to my face, "Yes, yes I can, actually."

  I raised an eyebrow as if to say 'oh really?'.

  "Okay, maybe I can't, but I can sure do this--!" he quickly whipped open the fridge door and took out a tub of ice cream. He then stood over the garbage bin and took off the lid of the tub. He dangled it dangerously over top of the garbage.

  "You wouldn't dare." I snapped.

  "Yeah? Try me!" Eli met my glare with one of his own.

  We both stared at each other with hard glares, before I finally caved.

  "Fine." I snatched the phone and dialed the number I vowed never to dial again.

  "Hello?"

  "Mother." I snapped into the phone.

  Eli's eyes widened in warning as he dropped the tub closer to the can.

  "I mean......Why hello, mother dearest! How I've missed talking with you!" I said, eyeing the tub with caution. 

  "Jaimelynn? Oh, my! Is this your way of telling me you're coming back home?"

  A surge of irritation ran through me.

  "Are you f--"

  "Jamie," Eli warned.

  "No, no I'm not coming back home, mother," I said quickly.

  "Oh."

  "I wanted to....to apologize for what I said....the last time we talked."

  On the other side, my mother sighed.

  "Actually, Jaimeynn, I've come to realize that perhaps, you were right. It was quite wrong of us to set you up with a man more than twice your age for our own financial benefits," she said.

  My eyes widened. I clutched the phone closer to my ear.

  "I guess, what I'm trying to convey is, I'm deeply sorry that we have......forced you to do so many things we shouldn't have. It was wrong, Jaimelynn." my mother's voice became watery and thick as if she were........crying.

  "It's-it's fine, mother."

  "No, it really isn't, Jaimelynn. I guess your father and I were too focused on our own selfish desires that we never even thought about what you may have been feeling. I mean, I never would've guessed you would have wanted to go to university, but that was perhaps because I never paid attention to you, Jaimelynn. And when you brought the idea up, I was confounded because I thought it absurd that you would just out of the blue want to up and go to university and ruin our.....plans." she stated tearfully, "And at this point, I've come to accept that this is what you want. But all I ask, Jaimelynn, is that you come home and-and pay us a visit. It's truly all I ask."

  I narrowed my eyes, "And if I come, you promise you won't try to convince me to stop going to university and marry some other old fart?"

  "I swear on my mother's grave."