four

I took a drag of my cigarette, staring at the empty paper cup of coffee that was sitting next to me on the bench. It had Luke's name on it. I couldn't bring myself to throw it out.

That free coffee represented the first sign of kindness that a stranger had shown me in months. I was wondering whether it was because Luke was a genuinely nice guy, or if he wanted to play the hero. It could have been both. It could have been none. All I knew is that I still felt like a mess, but that small interaction this morning had been enough to cheer me up.

I needed human company- desperately, it was more than obvious. Being by myself and ruminating had shown itself to be somewhat destructive. I was the best at self-sabotaging, and thinking about my feelings too much to the point where I would do things I regretted. Like sleeping with my ex.

Fuck, it was his fault, wasn't it? Or was I projecting my own insecurities and problems onto him? Nothing made sense. I was in a hole, one that was way too deep for me to get out of, stuck in San Francisco with the ghosts of my past, and the ghost of my own self. I wanted to be that person again. But I didn't think it would ever happen.

I got up at last, grabbing the cup carefully, bringing it inside with me. I locked the door behind me, set the cup on my coffee table, and sat down.

It felt like I had sat on something. I moved, grabbing the item that was between me and the couch, and furrowed my eyebrows at the sight of it.

"What is that?" I asked out loud, more to myself.

A small, black wallet that for sure didn't belong to me. Or to Oliver, for that matter.

I opened it up carefully, and took out the first card I could grab. It was a driver's license. I gasped when I saw the picture, and the name on it.

"Oh, for fuck's sake," I grumbled.

The name on the license read Luke Robert Hemmings, and looking at the photo, it suddenly was obvious that this wallet belonged to him. Just my luck. He couldn't possibly get rid of me, could he?

A feeling of guilt engulfed me, although I was fully aware that none of this was my fault. At least, not directly. He was the one who had bought me the coffee! Yes, I had dragged him home, but it wasn't like I had forced him to follow me! I needed to get this wallet back to him as soon as possible, but I wasn't sure how to go on about it.

I knew nothing about him, and my assumptions probably were wrong. How could I guess where he lived? Why hadn't I gotten his phone number? Was life really that desperate to pull me onto another guy to get over Oliver?

I put the card back into the wallet, and took out the rest. ID, receipts... Fucking bingo.

A business card. With a phone number on it.

I quickly grabbed my jacket, threw it on and made my way outside, the wallet in my pocket, the card in one hand, and my phone in the other.

I typed the number in as fast as I could, beginning to walk down the street. Maybe he was still around? I could just walk to his location, give the wallet back, and it would be all over. God, why was my life such a mess, all the fucking time?

The line rang, and rang, and rang. No answer.

"Jesus Christ," I mumbled, frustrated. "Why won't you pick up your fucking ph-"

I was cut short when I bumped into a giant human, pretty brutally. I dropped my phone on the concrete ground, and immediately knelt down to retrieve it. I was fuming.

"Fucking watch out, asshole," I shouted, not even bothering to look up. My phone screen was completely shattered. "Fuck!"

"It's you!" a familiar voice spoke up.

"What?" I answered, finally looking at the person that had crashed into me, making me break my brand new phone. The rage grew stronger as I saw who it was. "Oh, God! I've been trying to get in touch with you!"

"I'm so sorry about your phone," he knelt down next to me.

"Whatever, Luke," I snapped. "I have your wallet."

"I was walking up to your house to get it back."

"Well," I took his wallet out of my pocket, and handed it to him. "There it is."

We both stood back up. I was fuming. Obviously, another problem. Another problematic occurrence in the shit show that was my life. We stood in silence for a second, as I was inspecting my broken screen, mentally calculating how much it would be to get it fixed. I couldn't afford it. I could barely afford food.

"Thanks," Luke finally said.

"You're welcome."

"Sorry about your phone, again," he apologised.

"That's fine. I'll have to get it fixed some other time. I'm too broke for this shit right now."

"You'd be ten dollars richer if you hadn't forced me to take your money this morning. Sounds like you are ten dollars short, after all," he remarked.

"Oh, fuck off," I replied, looking at him in the eyes. Jesus, he was fucking hot. It was almost upsetting.

He smirked, crossing his arms. "Let's go get it fixed."

"I can't afford it," I repeated.

"I'll pay."

I stared at him in disbelief. "Dude, you gotta stop."

"Stop what?"

"First, you pay for my coffee. You act like some sort of hero, God-like figure who helps me like I'm some kind of damsel in distress. Now you want to pay for my phone to get fixed? What is your problem?"

"You look like you're in distress," he said calmly.

"I'm not!" I exclaimed.

"You're cute when you're mad."

"Fuck off," I said once more. "I appreciate your help but I can get by fine, all by myself."

"Fine," Luke finally said, running a hand through his hair. "Either way, thank you for looking after my wallet and giving it back. You're a life saver, Lex."

"Okay," I answered shyly, not knowing what else to say.

"Although you've been shouting at me for the past five minutes. I am grateful," he joked.

I sighed. "Yeah, sorry. I'm not like that. Usually."

"It's fine," he said. "Well, if you need me, you have my number, now."

I scoffed. "If I need you?"

"Listen, I'm just going to be honest," he sighed. "I want to take you out."

"Oh," what he had just said had taken me aback.

"What do you think?" he enquired.

"I'm..." I crossed my arms. "You're really hot, Luke, it's... I've just been through a break-up. I'm not sure."

"Right," he answered.

I looked at him, smiling. "Maybe we can be friends?"

He smiled right back at me, coming closer. My heart started beating a little louder, a little harder. He looked down, towering me.

"But Lex," he took a deep breath. My legs felt weak. "I don't want to be your friend."