twenty

Being back at work after such a heavenly weekend had been difficult. Even more so with the huge load of work Joelle had put on the three of us as soon as she'd come back from her short vacation. I wished she could have stayed in Canada so, so much longer, but she was back, biting as ever, not taking any of our lazy bullshit.

I glanced at my watch. It was nearly time to go home. I had promised drinks to Andy and Mia, having cancelled every single time the past week- I felt like the flakiest friend in the world. But I had gotten caught up with Luke, and the wedding, and most of all, work. It sucked, but shit had to be done. 

I sat back and daydreamed about the whole mess than the wedding had been. What a beautiful day, but Luke and I had made fools out of ourselves after that little incident in the guest house bathroom, where Lisa had caught us as we were attempting to exit the building. 

It could have possibly been mortifying, and the most embarrassing thing I'd ever gone through, but Lisa had just laughed, visibly drunk already, as we were. Nobody had mentioned it through the night, and we had resumed our drinking and mingling with the different guests. The alcohol was flowing and the food was delicious, and it had been the dreamiest night I had had in a while. I was so happy Luke got to be a part of Lisa's special day, too. I think everyone really did like him.

Seeing him getting on so well with my friends had made my heart feel like it could have burst in a billion tiny little pieces. I loved that sight. Maybe I loved him? It was too soon for this! Way too soon to catch these feelings, Lex!

I stood up slowly, catching Andy's glance from the other side of the room. A smile was playing on his lips, and as he opened his mouth, I knew exactly what he was about to say.

"You owe me and Mia a drink."

"I knew you would say that," I rolled my eyes jokingly, and grabbed my bag. "I know. Let's go down the road."

"You hear that Mia?" Andy asked, and Mia just nodded, chuckling. "Lex is back."

"Drinks on me, I guess," I shrugged, as we all hurried towards the door leading us out.

The walk to the bar was short and quick, and we all knew it by heart. Before shit went down with Oliver, we used to hang out just the four of us, boozing until we were too tired to stay. It had been a while since I'd set foot in that place. I knew that the memories would come back to me as soon as I'd smell the familiar smell of the scented candles they used there, and as soon as I'd step out on the back deck. It made me a little anxious, but I was trying to hide it as good as I could.

We got there and ordered our drinks, and the trio all walked towards the back garden, where several tables were set up, lined with huge, beautiful plants. Our usual spot was taken, so we grumpily moved further towards the end of the deck, finding a small table under a parasol.

"We missed you, all this time," Andy spoke up, as I took a cigarette out of my pack. "You're back."

"For the last time, Andy," I sassily retorted. I could feel the sun on my shoulders. "I never left. I can't be back if I never left."

"It does feel like it, though," Mia quietly said.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "Come on."

"We used to do this at least every week," Andy shrugged. "It's been seven weeks."

"Oh, my God," I moaned, rolling my eyes again. "You know the Oli thing happened, and I've been busy."

"Busy," Mia nodded slowly, eyes wide open, her hand mimicking the motion of a handjob.

"Stop it!" I slapped her arm playfully, faking a shocked expression. "It's not all I've been doing."

Andy took a sip of his beer, and sat back. He adjusted his dusty pink cap, smiling. "Oh, yeah. You and Luke sure have not been getting it on."

"Can you stop?" I asked, beginning to get frustrated. "This is why I didn't want to do this. You guys are being dicks."

Andy looked at Mia playfully, then back at me. "That's because we love you, Lex. Don't get upset."

I tugged onto my black dress. "And to think I was going to tell you guys about the neat wedding we went to this weekend..."

Their eyes widened with excitement. "You went to a wedding? That's like, the end base."

"It totally is. Everyone loved him," I cheered. "I don't know how it all happened. It was almost the perfect day."

"Well," Mia started. "I hope you have loads of perfect days in the future, Lex. You deserve it, after the shit Oliver's put you through."

I felt my heart sting a little at the mention of his name, but simply nodded.

"Yeah, I know."