twenty-one

"Alexis Williams, you're late," Luke's voice echoed through my living room.

I poked my head through the door frame, staring at my boyfriend who was standing right here, arms crossed. I let go of the laces of my shoes and furrowed my eyebrows.

"I don't remember letting you in."

"The door was opened," he shrugged. "My friends are waiting for us."

"Oh, please," I sassily retorted, finally carrying on putting on my shoes. "I'm sure Calum and Ashton are just fine without us."

I walked out of my bedroom, my purse in my hands, and stepped towards Luke. He uncrossed his arms and gave me a warm smile, as I stood on my tiptoes to give him a quick kiss on the cheek. He put his arm around me, leading me outside of my own damn house.

"I'll have you know that there's only a few of us tonight," he explained. "So they might not be fine without us."

"Oh," I nodded, feeling frankly relieved that I would have to socialise with less people tonight. These were always good news! "Either way, I'm convinced that being a little late will not make them hate us."

"Hopefully not," Luke faked a sad pout. We stepped outside and I locked the door behind me, watching him as he walked towards his car, tapping the roof gently with his hand. "Get in, loser, we're going boozing."

-

"You're late!" Calum exclaimed, opening the expensive glass door. "Hours late!"

"Told ya," Luke said, looking down at me.

"Fuck off," I muttered through my teeth, before flashing a bright smile at Calum, leaning in for a friendly hug.

"The sun is already setting, and Ashton is down on the beach starting the bonfire!" Calum enthusiastically said. He was still extremely attractive, almost more attractive than the first time I'd seen him. His tan skin was complimented with his white short-sleeved shirt that was opened all the way down, giving me a perfect view of his muscular torso. "Lex... You can look but you can't touch."

"Jesus Christ," I rolled my eyes, trying to conceal the fact that I was checking him out very obviously a second ago. "You wish."

"Maybe," Calum replied, his eyes looking right into mine. A heavy silence fell, as my heart started beating a little faster.

"What the fuck, guys?" Luke's voice broke the silence. "Lex?"

"Calum is just being stupid," I pushed past the tall, tan boy standing in the doorway, walking into the beautiful, sleek house. The sun setting was shining its golden light through the huge windows, and I stopped there, the sound of the waves and of Luke cussing Calum out quietly buzzing in my ears.

Both boys followed soon after, catching up with me as I was walking through the back deck. Memories began rushing back to me, remembering the first time I was there. God, that really had been a hell of a night. And even now, weeks after, I still could not believe how gorgeous that fucking house was. Rich people were too lucky.

"Let's get down on the beach," Calum proposed, and I instantly knew he was talking about a private beach. That's what you did when you were rich, wasn't it? You bought private beaches.

"Right," Luke said, and I could feel his hand gripping tight at my waist. I could tell he wasn't too happy with me, but I tried to ignore it, although the thought sort of excited me. "Let's get going."