twenty-two

I opened my eyes, squinting at the ray of sun that was hitting my face directly. Grimacing, I looked to my left side, and found Luke there, still fast asleep, his curly blonde hair messy from the night before. I felt a wave of tenderness rushing through me, as I stared quietly, his eyelids fluttering oh so gently, his lips slightly parted.

It took me a solid minute before realising where I was. As soon as I did, I sat up, gasping loudly, frantically looking for my phone.

"Fuck! Fuck, fuck fuck!"

"What?" Luke groaned sleepily, barely moving from his spot.

"I've got to get to work," I said, getting up from the king size bed and looking around for my clothes.

"Just get back to bed," he mumbled. "You're always going to work."

"You should probably go to work, too," I noticed. "It's Friday, and it's almost nine o'clock. We slept in."

"I have today off," he said. "When do you have to go?"

"Now," I announced, after putting my jacket on. "I'll see you tonight. Or tomorrow. You text me."

"Okay," he replied, and I could tell he was falling asleep again. I clutched onto my purse and walked hurriedly towards the bedroom door, stopping in front of it.

"Bye," I half-whispered, staring at Luke. His eyes were closed again, the sun shining on his freckled skin through the window.

"Love you," he mumbled.

I was taken aback, and wasn't sure of what he had just said, and instead of replying, just swung the door open and stepped outside, my breath almost taken away. I closed my eyes and shook my head, starting to storm towards the front of the house at a fast pace, before bumping hard into someone, letting go of my purse in the process.

"Watch it," Calum's voice resonated. "Oh, it's you."

"Have you seen Andy?" I asked, bending down to get my belongings back. As I did, Calum had already crouched, our hands bumping into each other as we both reached for my purse. I rolled my eyes, swatting his hand away. "Oh, come on. Let me pick up my stuff."

His gaze was on me as I looked up. He was still on my level, and I could see him swallowing hard. "No."

"What?" I asked, a hint of annoyance in my voice.

"I haven't seen Andy," he replied quietly. "Where are you even going?"

"I'm going to work, Calum," I answered, standing back up. He did the same, and he kept that short distance between us, one that was way too close for my own comfort. His tall body was towering over mine. "I need to call an Uber."

"I'll drive you," he announced. I furrowed my eyebrows, glancing at his half-naked body. "Don't look at me like that. I'll put something on."

"I could just ask Luke to," I replied. 

"Give me one minute," he said. "Would you rather pay for an Uber?"

"At this point, I don't know what I'd prefer..." I started, but before I knew it, Calum had disappeared into a room. I glanced at my watch, losing my patience. "Oh, for fuck's sake."

A huge part of me wanted to just leave this place and to call a taxi, call Andy, anyone but Calum. I didn't know what he wanted from me. I didn't know why he looked at me the way he did, and part of me knew that he was most likely sexually frustrated and trying with every woman he saw, or quite the opposite, that he was used to getting what he wanted, even if it meant his best friend's girlfriend.