eighteen

I sat on the edge of my bed, breathing loud, the sheer fabric of my dress feeling sort of itchy against my chest. I rolled my eyes and laid back down, legs dangling off, my eyes fixated on the pearl white ceiling.

Today was Lisa's wedding. I had no idea how they had pulled this shit, or even why they had challenged themselves to plan a ceremony in only two weeks. Fourteen days. I was aware Lisa was crazy, and that her thinking was often out of the box, but that was a whole other thing.

My stomach was in knots as I remembered Luke was my plus one. Today was the day he would meet my closest friends. I would finally show him off to the world, and I knew that they would love him, because how couldn't you? He was just so likeable, with his charming smile and pretty words.

We had officially become a thing a little less than two weeks ago. Everything had gone by fast, too fast for me, and the fact that I couldn't even bring myself to take the relationship slow was killing me. I was falling, hard, and I knew that the moment I would crash, I would never be the same again. I was hoping I could make the honeymoon phase last as long as I possibly could. I didn't want to think about real things, because the last time I had, I had gotten absolutely ruined mentally, and somehow physically.

I was trying my very best, and I think Luke saw it. I appreciated that he saw the potential in me. I wasn't sure why or how he hadn't let me sabotage what we had yet, but he was holding onto me. It was a big deal. 

I squeezed my eyes shut, opened them again, and sat up quickly. I put my boots on, and as I stood up, took a glance of myself in the mirror. Not too shabby. For Lex Williams, this was good. At least 7/10.

I grabbed my leather pouch on my way out, locked the door behind me, and walked to my car.

"Fuck," I said, sitting in the driver's seat. 

I was wearing my heeled boots, and there was no way I could drive in them. I had tried before, trust me.

I let out a huge sigh and ran back inside to get my Chucks, putting them on, and finally, driving off.

It was a beautiful Saturday morning in San Francisco. The sun was out, and the wind was blowing. My windows were wide opened, and my favourite record was playing. I had a feeling today would be beautiful. It felt like one of those days. 

People were out on the streets, and the centre of the town was the busiest I'd seen it in weeks. The sound of sirens were overpowering the song on the radio, and I groaned, looking into my rear view mirror. The line of cars forming behind mine was getting way too long for my liking. 

"Jesus," I muttered. I was only minutes away from Luke's house, but I wasn't sure of how fast I would actually manage to get there. 

After several wrong turns in attempt to find shortcuts and twenty minutes of fighting with the roads to avoid the traffic, I drove slowly into Luke's street, stopping in front of his apartment complex. 

And there he was, in all of his baby-blue glory. Stepping outside, with the shiniest boots the world had ever seen, and the tightest pastel coloured trousers. I couldn't take my eyes off him. He pulled this shit off like a king, and I suddenly felt awkward in my old, rusty, vintage Prada dress, wishing somehow I could be rich enough to afford luxury clothing and look as good as he did. 

"Don't get in too fast, your trousers might crack," I joked as he got into the car, struggling to make his very long legs fit in the narrow space. He looked at me, pulling his sunglasses down.

"That's very funny, Lex. I know you'd love to be mooned by me."

"Oh, Luke," I chuckled, adjusting my own sunglasses on my nose. "Who wouldn't?"

"Nice shoes, by the way," he remarked. 

"I can't drive in heels," I retorted sassily. 

"So I get to see Lex Williams wearing heels," I could hear him smile. I took a glance at him, and he was. "That's exciting."

"Believe me, Luke," I began, eyes fixed on the road, still. "It's not that good of a sight."

"Well," he said, lowering the volume on the radio. He placed his hand on my naked thigh, and squeezed it gently. "I'm still excited. You look great."

The feeling of his hand on my skin made me shiver, and I tried to shake the feeling off. He knew exactly what he was doing to me, and I hated that with just a touch, he could make me feel that way. It felt reckless.

"I'm pleased you think I look good," I looked to my right side. He had a cheeky look on his face. "But I'm not the one pulling off a baby blue suit. You look fucking cool."

He leaned over, and planted a kiss on my neck. My hands on the steering wheel started shaking ever so slightly, as I pulled back in regret.

"Sorry," Luke mumbled against my skin. "You just... Look too pretty."

"We'll never make it to the wedding alive if you keep doing this," I retorted, a smile playing on my lips. "I'm driving, Luke. This isn't fair."

"I'm sorry," he sat back into his seat, throwing his head back. The wind was blowing in his blonde curls. "I'll stop now."

I wanted him to keep going, but instead, just looked down at his hand on my leg. He was wearing black nail polish.

"I like your nails," I smiled. "Very cool."

"Got them done the other day," he pouted, showing them off. "Looking all pretty and done up for the wedding. Even washed my hair."

"Wow," I laughed. "It looks very luscious. You did good."

"I'm nervous about meeting your friends," he admitted, looking outside the window to the coast, anxiously. 

"They'll love you," I reassured him. "I thought you were so sure of yourself at all times. Luke Hemmings is doubting himself?"

"I guess he is," he shrugged, still looking outside.

"Just woo them with that beautiful smile and banging ass," I chuckled.

"You're the one with the banging ass," he replied. He was glancing over at me sneakily, his head resting in his right hand. "I'd bang you."

"Oh wow," I faked surprise, taking one of the final turns to get to the venue. "You would? I am so honoured."

"You're cute," he said, moving closer to me.

"No, Luke," I stopped him, putting my right hand on his chest to prevent him from coming forward. He grabbed it and kissed it gently, the feeling of his soft lips against the back of my hand feeling like butterflies. How was I supposed to even be driving? "God."

"What?" he asked, looking up at me with puppy eyes, coming closer, his lips trailing across my bare arm. I stopped the car on the small parking space, Luke still holding onto me with his warm hands, his lips still on my skin.

"You can't do this when I'm driving," I said, waving my finger at him, as he tried to come closer to kiss me. I recoiled. "No."

He didn't take the hint, and kissed my neck gently, pulling me closer to him. "Sorry, Lex."

"It's fine," I closed my eyes and felt myself getting turned on, and finally, pushed Luke away one final time. "It's wedding time."

"Right," Luke said, looking at me, putting his sunglasses back on and licking his lips. "Let's go."

"Okay," I chuckled, about to open the door and get out. "Shit, my shoes. Do you mind passing them over? They're on the back seat."

Luke reached for them effortlessly, and gave me them. He smirked as I put them on swiftly, throwing my sneakers in the back of the car. 

"Ready, now?"

"Yeah," I nodded. "Let's go to a wedding."

He smiled, puffing his cheeks out, and letting all the air out at once nervously. "Let's go to a wedding."