six

I walked out the door, overwhelmed with anxiety and ridden with the fear that once again, I was putting myself in an unpleasant situation just for the hell of it. But, for the love of God, I was tired of overthinking and driving myself insane all the fucking time for things that didn't even really matter anyway.

My mind had already made up a thousand scenarios about what could be happening in the next few hours, on the date with Luke. Was this even a date? I guess it would be, he had been very clear about what he wanted from me before. I had gotten flustered and embarrassed whenever I had opened my mouth for the good reason that it was beyond me that a guy as fucking hot as he was wanted to see me. Also, my main form of flirting was being mean to people and hoping they were into it.

I clutched onto my handbag for dear life as I saw a car pull over to the left of my street. Oh, fuck. Here we go. The car got slower, and there he was; bright eyed (I guessed. I couldn't see through his sunglasses. Why was he always wearing them?) and smiling this bright smile I had been day-dreaming about.

"Come on in," he said. "Let's have some fun."

He was driving a light blue Ford Capri. Show off.

I got into the car without a word as he drove off.  The radio was a song that I didn't know, and the sun was getting lower and lower in the sky. It felt like one of those summer nights where you just want to sit back and take everything in. This is what I felt at that exact moment. Soak in the plentiful beauty that the Earth was giving us at this very moment.

"That's a nice car."

"Sure is nicer than yours," Luke smirked. 

"I don't want to talk if you're going to be rude," I looked down at my feet.

"Because you haven't been rude to me ever since we met... You hate me being nice, or rude. What do you want?" his eyes were fixed on the road. I knew he joked while saying this, but I still felt like he meant it.

"Maybe I just don't like anything," I taunted him. He smiled.

"Oooh, edgy."

"I'm not trying to be edgy."

"You're so god damn edgy, I'm always scared to cut myself on one of them."

"You'd love it," I replied without thinking.

"Yeah," he nodded, before shooting a quick glance at me. "I would."

I felt a strange warmth inside my stomach that I hadn't felt in a long while- excitement. This was flirting, and oh, my God, did I love it. I wanted him top park the car, grab his face and passionately make out with him at this very moment. I'm not quite sure what kept me from doing it.

The drive to the beach was approximately fifteen minutes. I missed the beach. I couldn't remember the last time I went, because of Oliver's strange hate and disgust for sand. I wasn't quite sure why he had decided to move to California if he hated the sand and the ocean that much. I always said it, and he would always shut me up by saying he didn't really know, either.

There were a million little private beaches on the coast, and you were lucky if you could find one that didn't involve crackheads shooting heroin or families with screaming children running around. Ah, the odd, eternal beauty of San Francisco.

My eyes wandered to Luke's hands. Most of his fingers had rings on them, and the way he was holding onto the old wheel of his car made me feel something... But to be honest, I mostly blamed it on my weirdly high sex drive.

We reached the coast, at long last. Luke pulled his sunglasses up to let them sit on the top of his head, pulling his curly, blonde hair back. Jesus, Christ. The thoughts I was having at that very minute were so incredibly unholy.

He undid his seat belt. 

"This is a secret beach. But an actual secret beach."

"People always say they know a secret beach."

"You have so little faith in me, Alexis," he replied.

"I have very little faith in everyone," I snapped.

He just smiled, and got out of the car. I followed him closely as we started the short hike that led to Luke's "secret" beach hide out. I couldn't hear any sound but the ocean waves crashing against the shore, and I hated to admit it, but that was an excellent sign. I was both thrilled that we would get time just the two of us, away from everyone, and mad that he probably would rub the fact that he had such a "perfect" spot right in my face. He was the kind of person to do that.

The sky was turning into this shade of lilac I loved- sunsets were the most beautiful thing to me. The sun was burning, orange, getting lower every minute. As I climbed the final bit of dune that led us to the beach, I could barely believe the sight that I had.

The sea was glistening, and the secret spot was the perfect tiny beach (as far as San Francisco beaches went).

As we walked down and at last, sat down, Luke pulled out a bottle of wine out of his bag and smirked at me.

"I brought something."

I smiled, faked a sigh of relief. "God, I was hoping you would. Hanging out with you sober is not something I can do."