nineteen

Luke squeezed my hand twice, and after taking a deep breath, we both made our way through the garden area of the Art and Garden centre, following loosely a few guests that were walking, following the path, as if being afraid to side-step and get lost.

The trees above us were shading the heavy sun that was getting higher and higher in the sky, its zenith soon to be reached. The breeze on my skin felt heavenly, and walking in such a dreamy space, with the most gorgeous Australian man by my side, I could feel the slightest hint of happiness inside of my heart. I never wanted to have more worries than I did at this instant, staying in a stress-free state, wearing a 60's dress and feeling the wind in my hair.

There was a huge arch at the end of the pathway, and as we made our way towards it, I noticed a few familiar faces, but overwhelmed with the high stakes that were put on Luke and I, I remained quiet, and carried on walking at a leisurely pace.

"This is quite nice," Luke's voice spoke up, squeezing my hand once more.

"I still have no idea how they did all of this," I said, almost short of breath. "I haven't been to a wedding in years."

"I haven't been to a wedding, ever," Luke added. "This is my first one."

"With that suit, you look like a wedding expert," I smiled, as we finally reached the ivy archway. I spotted Greg and Heather in the distance, and knew that they'd seen me, too.

Heather was wearing a peach-coloured dress that contrasted with her tan skin tone. She waved gently at Luke and I, and turned to Greg, as if she was saying something, but I couldn't read her lips. Instantly, my knees felt as if they were turning to jelly, knowing that whatever she was telling him was about us. As if Luke could feel it, he let go of my hand, and wrapped his arm around my neck lovingly, bending down to kiss the crown of my head. I felt like I was blushing.

"Hey, Lex," Heather greeted me, her curly black hair flowing in the wind. She looked stunning. "Hey..."

"Luke," he introduced himself, now having removed his hand from around me and holding it out to shake Heather's. "Nice to meet you."

"That's Heather," I said. "She's a friend of Lisa, mostly. Although..."

"We did have quite an experience a couple years back. A bonding experience, I'd say," Greg stepped in, shaking Luke's hand. "I'm Greg."

"That sounds naughty," Heather said. "Not that kind of experience."

"Right..." Luke started.

"We all did shrooms at a party," I cut him off, looking up at him. "Nothing crazy."

Luke smiled, and I knew he didn't know what to say to this. I grabbed his hand again, and Heather and Greg both stood there, sort of awkwardly.

"Okay," Heather began. "I think the ceremony is that way. It's almost time."

"Yeah, we should get going," Luke continued. He squeezed my hand. 

"Okay," I said, him and I walking away from the couple. "We'll see you guys later."

When we were far away enough, Luke bent down to speak in my ear.

"You do mushrooms with people once and they think you're bonded for life," he chuckled. 

"I know, right?" I made a face, rolling my eyes. "I like them, though."

"They look nice, I guess," he replied, looking around him.

After walking for a good fives minutes on the path that led to the small chapel, Luke and I entered, taking place on one of the few wooden seats that were lining the room. The cold walls of the church-like space made me feel chilly.