eleven

I felt my phone's vibrating next to me on my bed, and reached for it, hoping that it was what I had been waiting for.

Andy

One of my friends is having a party tonight. Please come?

I checked the time. It was seven o'clock, on that same Friday, and I was already under my duvet, watching a stupid show on Netflix. Did I want to get out of bed, get dressed, just to get boozed and socialise with people I didn't even know?

You bet I did.

I texted Andy back, making the compromise that I would only consider going if he picked me up, and gave me a ride home when I'd decide I'd had enough. He shortly messaged back, agreeing, which sealed the deal. Perfect. I wouldn't have to worry about transport, and was instantly overjoyed at the thought of not having to drive. Alcohol! Fun! Music!

Parties when you were twenty-five were a lot different than the ones I went to during my college years. There were still couples making out in the corners, and a whole lot of alcohol, but now, people were mostly drunk-crying about their jobs and how they were still single. They had their own charm. Or at least, that's what I thought, personally.

I threw on a dirty band-shirt I had cut into a tank top, and a leather skirt I found on the floor next to my wardrobe. I tried to make an effort with my make-up and hair, but found out that it was nearly hopeless, and why would I even want to look hot for people I didn't even know?

A short half-hour later, Andy was there, waiting  in my driveway.

I hurried outside, locking my front door behind me, and quickly getting onto the passenger seat.

"Where's your girlfriend?" I asked. He had told me earlier today he had been supposed to see her, but she was nowhere to be seen.

"I cancelled," he announced, starting the car. "Maybe you and Mia are right."

"You know we are, Andy," I replied. He chuckled.

"Yeah. I know you are, which I why I'm thinking of seriously ending things."

"Good boy," I joked, glancing at my phone, then back at Andy. "I told you, dating is bullshit."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," he brushed me off. "You're full of shit, Alexis."

I smiled and rolled my eyes. He wasn't totally wrong. Maybe I was being so adamant about love just because I was still recovering from... That thing. And I knew very well that it was the reason why I wouldn't let myself fall for anybody else. Or at least, try to not let myself fall. 

There was so much I could do to shut my mind up, and to stop my heart from catching feelings.

We arrived at the party a short twenty minutes ride later, and I could hear music coming out of the opened bay windows. Andy had filled me in on the guests, two young friends that had invested in a nice-as-fuck house on the San Francisco bay, telling me it was their house warming party. These guys seemed loaded, by the looks of it. 

The house was a modern, two stories contemporary cottage that overlooked the ocean. As Andy and I made our way through the main part of the house (which was furnished with the most sleek and expensive-looking furniture I'd ever seen), I looked around, staring at all the people that were drinking and chatting. They all looked like normal people to me. I clutched onto my hand bag as we finally made our way outside, the cool night summer air hitting my face. The front deck was absolutely massive, and at the bottom of the stairs that led to the garden was a giant swimming pool. The moon reflected on the calm water, before someone jumped in with an inflatable swan, shortly followed by a group of people squealing as their bodies hit the water.

"Andy, how the fuck do you meet these people?" I asked, as I tried to avoid being hit by a tall man swinging his beer around while telling a very, very interesting story, it seemed. "Whose house am I even in?"

"I've met these guys a couple of times when out drinking," he explained, his eyes scanning the garden, trying to find a familiar face. "Regulars at my local bar."

"This house is absolutely cra-"

"Andy! Hey, man, you made it!"

I was cut off by a very tall and handsome man. His hair was dyed blonde, and tattoos were covering his arms. I assumed he was one of the house owners.

"Calum, good to see  you, dude," Andy said, embracing him. "This is Lex, she's a good friend of mine."

"Hi," I awkwardly greeted, and before I knew it, Calum had also pulled me into a warm and friendly hug.

"This house is fucking crazy," Andy noticed, as Calum handed both Andy and me a beer he'd gotten from the ice bucket that was behind him.

"It is pretty nice," Calum smiled, a smug look on his face. "I don't know where Ashton is, but I'm sure you'll see him around eventually."

I pulled a cigarette out of my pack, and began lighting it. Andy shot a death glare at me.

"What?" I asked, cigarette in my mouth.

Calum laughed. "It's fine. Just don't throw it in the pool when you're done. We just bought it, you see, and I would hate to have to chase you down for you to pay to have it cleaned."

"Woah," I took a drag, and blew it in his face. "I'd like to see you try."

Calum pointed at me, and looked at Andy. "She's feisty. I like her."

"She really is," Andy confirmed, taking a sip of his beer and looking at Calum with an exasperated expression. "Maybe I shouldn't have brought her along."

"Oh, come on, Andy," I rolled my eyes, laughing. "You practically begged for me to come."

"Is that so?" Calum looked at Andy, eyebrows raised, trying to hold back his laughter.

"Yeah, actually," Andy nodded. "I don't have a..." he looked around, then back at his friend. "I don't have a billion friends like you do."

"They're mostly Ashton's friends," Calum said, drinking up. "Or more like, acquaintances. We just happen to know a fair amount of people."

"Obviously," I added, crossing my arms, smoking. 

"Okay, guys," Calum slowly clapped his hands together, taking a deep breath. "I need to tend to my guests, and get drunk as fuck, so I'll catch you around later."

"Thanks, man," Andy said.

"Just help yourselves, we've got more booze coming in a bit," Calum half-shouted as he was walking away from us.

I turned back to my friend, who was staring at the front of the house almost in awe.

"This is batshit crazy, Andy!" I said, shocked at the whole thing that was going on around us. "What the fuck?"

"He really said that it was bottomless booze," Andy replied. "I had no idea these guys were that rich."

"This is fucking awesome," I smiled, drinking some of my beer.

"Aren't you happy you came out with me?"

"Oh, Andy," I smiled. "I am so fucking pumped right now."