23.

"Ow," she muttered before her eyes fluttered shut from exhaustion.

Quiver

Chapter 23; Ghostbusters

"Guys, you have to come look at this," Cisco called out to Barry and Dr. Wells just as the latter two were finishing their conversation. They followed Cisco into the Cortex where Cisco had blueprints of the heat gun. "When the heat gun was fired, it increased the surrounding temperature of the air dramatically, sort of like an extreme heat wave. Heat Wave."

"Stop doing that," Dr. Wells told Cisco when he made the new name for the other person that Snart was working with. Cisco's smile fell immediately and he went back to why he brought them back into the Cortex.

"Okay. I measured the temperature output of both the cold and heat guns, right? And while the cold gun achieves absolute zero, the heat gun successfully reaches absolute hot, or the hottest temperature an object can reach."

"Planck temperature," clarified Barry who stood to Cisco's right.

"So potentially, these two guns could cancel each other out," Dr. Wells theorized.

"Yeah, but to do that, you'd have to make them cross streams."

"You mean like Ghostbusters?" Barry joked, a dorky grin reaching his face.

"That film is surprisingly scientifically accurate."

"And really quite funny," Wells added. Barry's phone rang and he took a few steps away from Cisco and Dr. Wells when he answered it.

"Hey, Joe. What's up?" Barry's face dropped and he ran out of the room using his superspeed. He ran all the way to the crime scene where Caitlin and Charlotte were kidnapped not that long ago.

"Joe, anything?" Barry asked as soon as he reached the parking lot. There were police cars, detectives, and forensic photographers everywhere, along with Caitlin's car that was damaged on one side. 

"There's no sign of Caitlin," he responded, "and I haven't been able to get it touch with Charlotte."

"Oh, my God," Barry breathed as he ran a hand through his hair. He looked at the car before looking down at the ground where Charlotte's necklace was. It was her mother's and she never took it off - Barry knew that. "Joe."

The older man walked over to Barry as he picked up the jewelry. "What's that?"

"Charlotte's necklace," Barry answered, his fear of losing two of his closest friends quickly rising. "She never takes it off. What if she was taken, too?"

"We don't know that, Barry," Joe tried to reassure, but his face showed that he was thinking of the worst possible scenario that the blonde and brunette could be in. 

"We're getting them back. We have to find Snart," Barry declared.

"Damn right we do. Come on, let's go." The two of them went back to the Central City Police Department and Barry was panicking. He wanted to know why Snart took them and where he took them. He wanted to know at that moment so he could save his best friends. 

The elevator to the C.C.P.D. opened, and Joe and Barry walked out. They were about to head up to Barry's lab when Eddie called out Joe's name. "We got a hit, a second pair of prints. They belong to a Mick Rory."

"Who is he?" Barry asked the blonde detective. 

"Big-time arsonist," he answered as they walked towards Joe's desk. "He and Snart worked a job last year that went bad. Half of Rory's body was burned in a fire that got out of control. He escaped from an ambulance on the way to the hospital, hasn't been seen since. Why would they kidnap someone like Caitlin?"