33.

*no caption needed*

Quiver

Chapter 33; Secrets Are Out

"I... It's you," he whispered. "I love you, Charlotte."

Charlotte stared at him with her mouth agape and her eyes wide. She didn't know if she heard him correctly or not. Her mouth moved, but no sound came out.

"What?" she whispered, not able to make her voice any louder. Barry stared at the female in front of him before swallowing thickly.

"I love you," he repeated, hoping he hadn't made a mistake by telling another girl that he loved her and having the feelings not reciprocated. "I've loved you for so long, and I can't imagine what my life would be like if you weren't here with me." Charlotte continued to look at him before she let out a breathy chuckle. It was short and her face went back into shock before she put her hand against Barry's cheek.

"I love you, too," she smiled. He grinned down at her before lowering his head. Charlotte's heart fluttered as their lips touched, and her stomach twisted in knots. Her eyes closed as she wrapped her arms around his neck, bringing Barry closer to her.

Charlotte forgot about all her troubles at that moment. Every single painful moment was gone while she was kissing Barry. It was that moment that she knew that she truly loved Barry.

She soon ran out of breath and unwillingly pulled away. Her cheeks were flushed, and both their lips were slightly red. They let out small chuckles before Charlotte hugged him. They were interrupted by a phone ringing. The two let go before Barry pulled his phone out from his pocket. He put the phone up to his ear and a few seconds later, he hung up.

"That was Joe. I'm needed at the hospital," he explained. After Charlotte raised her eyebrow at him, he clarified. "Captain Singh."

"Can I come with?" she asked, looking up at him. "I'm worried about him." Barry agreed and before she could say no, he picked her up and ran to the hospital. He set her down when they got there, and Charlotte turned to face Barry with an exasperated look.

"What?" he asked with an innocent smile before walking inside. They were sent to one of the rooms on one of the top floors. Barry made two cups of hospital coffee for both Joe and Singh's fiancé before they headed up. He gave it to Joe before the two walked over to Rob.

"Thank you, Barry," Rob said as he grabbed the cup. "This isn't how I thought I'd finally meet David's co-workers. He speaks very highly of you." Barry and Charlotte both gave Rob a look of shock.

"Really?" Charlotte asked, looking over at Barry. She didn't mean to be rude, but she saw the way that Singh treated Barry. She never would've expected Barry to be spoken about at all, let alone praised.

"David's all bark. A very loud bark," he chuckled, earning small chuckles from the other two. The door to the hospital room opened and out walked the captain's doctor.

"How is he, Doctor?" Joe asked, standing up from his seat.

"We're stabilizing him," she answered with a frown. "He's experiencing some paralysis in his lower extremities."

"Oh, my God," Rob muttered with tears brimming in his eyes.

"The hardest thing to gauge right now is the extent of his neurocognitive deficits, so he may not be the same person you remember."

"Can I see him?"

"I'm sorry," she apologized, "visitation's for family only." Tears streamed down Rob's face, and Charlotte looked over at the doctor.