46

Lexi and I pull up to her childhood house after a car ride that wasn't nearly long enough

Lexi and I pull up to her childhood house after a car ride that wasn't nearly long enough. I can't help but gape at the architecture. And the landscaping. And everything about this property. It really is one of the largest houses that I've ever seen. Every house on this street is large, but this one takes the cake for sure. I try not to let my amazement show on my face.

Looking over at Lexi, I see her biting her lips while looking at the front door. Knowing that this is a nervous habit of hers, I'm hoping that my presence won't make this situation worse for her. I grab her upper arms gently to calm her down. "You good, love?" I ask. "It's not too late to turn around," I tell her honestly. I'd be willing to take her anywhere.

She nods silently, looking into my eyes and I reach up to remove her lip from between her teeth with my thumb, gently pecking her on the cheek. "Ready to go in?"

She nods again, grabbing my hand and dragging me up the steps to the giant front doors. "All it's missing is a moat and drawbridge," I say looking over at her, trying to make light of the situation. I knock and we wait quietly as she giggles at my lame joke. Her smile drops as soon as the door is swung open to reveal a smartly dressed man who must be her father. He looks very stern, his face set into a hard, unfeeling smile to greet us.

The similarities between him and Lexi are slim to none, but her reaction tells me that he's her father. His hair is blond and his features are light. They share the same eyes, but where hers are bright and full of life, his look almost dull and lackluster. I feel her body stiffen next to me and she stands as straight as physically possible.

"Alexis, glad that you could make it. And who is this?" He asks Lexi in a professional sounding tone, not as if he's greeting his daughter, and not bothering to embrace her. He looks over at me quickly before determining that I'm not worth the greeting.

"Father, this is my friend Chase. We go to school together." She says, avoiding her father's eyes as she speaks. I continue to hold his gaze as long as it's on me.

"Yes, well, I'll send someone to fetch your bags and set up a guest room. Would have been polite to mention a guest coming, yes?" He says condescendingly to Lexi.

She nods and looks down again. "Sorry Father, it was last minute."

"Yes sir, I'm truly sorry about my intrusion. Your daughter was kind enough to invite me with her so that I wasn't alone for the holiday." I don't like this guy because Lexi seems scared of him, but I offer my hand for him to shake nonetheless. I'm starting to get the feeling that the invitation was more for her sake than mine, but I don't mind it as long as I'm near her. If I can be here for her comfort as well, then all the better.

"No problem, as you can see we have plenty of space for one more. Alexis, show Carter up to a room and show him around. You may meet us in the dining room at six o'clock sharp." We may? Who are these people? He turns his back to us, walking away. She doesn't bother correcting him and takes my hand.

"Are you scared of him, love?" I have to ask. I don't want her to have a reason to be afraid of her own dad. Especially after what happened at Halloween. Her eyes widen.

"No! It's nothing like that, he's never laid a hand on me if that's what you mean." She says and I visibly relax. "He just treats me differently. You'll see." She mumbles the last part. Treats her differently than who?

She leads me into what I assume is the guest bedroom, most everything is white with light blue accents and no personal decorations whatsoever. "This is my room." My eyes widen and I look around again to make sure I didn't miss anything. No pictures, no cute little blue decorations, no hair products or makeup. She notices my confusion and laughs emptily, looking uncomfortable.

She walks over to a door, entering a room, so I follow. This is it. I see colorful clothes all over her closet, a tidy mess of bright fabrics. Here is where you can find her. That room isn't where she lives, this is. Well, and her apartment with Faye. There, she has decorations, hair stuff, a mess on the floor yet the rest of the room is perfectly organized, and it's perfect for her.

I smile, "I like this place more." Looking at her and shrugging.

She smiles, leading me back out. "I'll show you to your room now, it's right next to mine." I follow Lexi down the hallway a bit, considering how large the bedrooms are here. She leads me into another expressionless room, where my bag is already resting beside the bed.

"Thanks for trusting me enough to bring me here, Angel. It means more than you know." I tell her, meaning it. I know that we are friends, but I'm sure that we both know that we are more than that by now. After everything that's happened, I've barely left her side and I don't intend to leave anytime soon, if ever. I want to show her what I see. That being with me will be easy, and she doesn't need to sacrifice anything to do it. I love her the way she is.

"It means a lot having you here. As you can see, it's not easy for me to be here." She looks defeated but thankful, and I know that it is taking a lot for her to trust me like this.

"Can't wait to meet the rest of the fam, I didn't get a chance to look at the pictures downstairs." Lexi grimaces noticeably, and I'm curious once again.

"Don't tell me that your mum is like your dad?" I ask sarcastically.

"Not quite. She's a bit better. But did I mention that I have siblings?" She says, squeaking because she already knows the answer to that.

"No, and you know you didn't. What are they like?"

"Well, I have an older brother, he's twenty and he's pretty nice. We've never really been close though. Then there's Tatiana―"

"Alexis!" We both snap our heads towards the direction of the screeching coming from downstairs. I hope to god that that is not her mother. Lexi grimaces and opens her mouth, probably to explain before we hear a thundering of footsteps on the stairs and the screeching continues to get closer to us.

I furrow my eyebrows, curious. "What the hell is that?" She covers my mouth with her hand, only increasing my confusion.

"Whatever you do, don't make any sudden movements." She whispers dramatically with her hand still over my mouth. I can't tell if she is joking or not. The door to the guest bedroom is thrown open, and I can honestly say that I was not expecting to see a blonde version of Lexi on the other side of it.

"Hey, sister."