36

It seemed as if today was the day that everyone got out of classes at the same time considering the large group of people in the tv room

It seemed as if today was the day that everyone got out of classes at the same time considering the large group of people in the tv room. Despite the lack of space, more and more people decided to show up and stay even as the couches filled up.

Sat on the armrest to my right, Lexi's eyes are fixed on the tv and my eyes are fixed on her. She's leaning back to rest against the large cushions with her body angled toward mine. Her mile-long legs are curled to the side and she's constantly moving around to get more comfortable. I'm tempted to pull her onto my lap but I'm addressed before I can even reach for her.

"Hey Cap. When was the last time you got laid?" A guy on the team named Harrison asks. I immediately glare at him in surprise that he would stoop so low as to ask me that in front of Lexi. She stiffens and stands up with a smile.

"I'm gonna go grab a drink. Want one?" She asks me, visibly uncomfortable. We're friends, but if she was sleeping with someone, I would not want to know. I shake my head with a grim smile and watch as she leaves the room before turning to face Harrison.

"What the fuck is your problem mate?" My voice is low but my words are scathing. The douche-bag just smirks at me, proud of the wedge he may have driven between me and my girl. The answer is too long ago, but that is none of his fucking business.

"No problem at all." He holds his hands up with a mischievous smile. "I just don't get what the big deal with this chick is. She's hot and all, but everyone around here fucking adores her. It's the tits isn't it." He does a chin nod, looking like he expects me to agree with a word coming out of his mouth.

Standing up so abruptly that the couch jerks back even with others sitting on it, I take one menacing step towards Harrison before a hand tightly grips my forearm. I grit my teeth and look back at Luke who is shaking his head. I listen to his silent warning because I know that I'm only giving Harrison what he wants by reacting. This time I sit back down and wait for Lexi to come back, knowing that her presence will calm me. If he dares to open his mouth about her again though, nothing could stop me from getting to him.

Lexi comes back with a hesitant expression and I jerk my head to the left, gesturing for her to come back to me. She sits on the armrest for half a second before my hands wrap around her waist and pull her onto my lap. She's surprised, that much I can tell from her posture, but she melts into me, putting her head into my neck.

Maddox walks in with Reece and I smirk at the sight of them, looking back to Harrison. As the captain, I take my role seriously, and fighting other players would look horrible to the coach. Luke stopped me, knowing this. But everyone on the team is well aware of Maddox's temper and it isn't hard to see that he is protective of Lexi.

"Hey, Harrison. Make sure to tell Maddox that joke you said earlier. I bet he'd fucking adore it." I say playfully with an edge to my tone. Lexi tilts her head at me with a curious expression and I wave her off. Harrison tries to play it cool but he looks like he might piss his pants.

"Honestly it wasn't that funny man." Harrison laughs and I see Maddox raise an eyebrow, visibly becoming impatient with this conversation.

"Go on, I have shit to do." He demands. When he catches sight of Lexi, he doesn't bat an eye that she's sandwiched between me and the couch, and they do a little handshake that must be new. Harrison's eyes widen at the sight but he opens his mouth. "I was fucking joking. I don't give a shit." Maddox laughs and turns to walk toward the staircase.

"Maddie's such an ass," Lexi says quietly so that only I can hear and I pick her up, turning her so that we're facing each other, our backs to everyone else in the room.

"Maddie?" I smile, no longer feeling jealous of their relationship. I trust Maddox to tell me if he had any feelings towards Lexi. She nods.

"And he calls me Thompson because that's about as masculine as my name can get." She laughs, her hands fingering the fabric of my shirt, the light touches sending sparks to each point.

"What is your full name?" I ask, my arm beneath her neck moves to get more comfortable and her face ends up dragging closer to mine. So close that I can smell the sweet marshmallow chapstick on her lips.

"Alexis Thompson."

"What? No middle name?" I ask and she shakes her head.

"What's yours?" She asks, wetting her lips with her tongue. My eyes dart to follow the movement and settle there on her sharp cupid's bow.

"Chase William Alexander." I roll my eyes.

"I like it. I like how you say it too." She says and I'm once again thankful for her fascination with my accent. Lexi likes the unique pieces of people the most, and my accent seems like the only thing that sets me apart from anyone else.

"I think Alexis is one of the most beautiful names I've ever heard," I tell her truthfully. "No need for a second name, it would only diminish the first." She audibly gulps but stays stock still in my arms.

"Thanks, Chase." She says and changes the subject quickly.

I wake up with Lexi in my arms, the two of us must have drifted off at some point in our conversation. We are alone, snuggled together on one couch cushion but now, one of her legs is draped over mine. The contrast between our skin colors is significant and it makes me smile.

For the most part, I stay where I am to let Lexi continue sleeping, knowing that she hasn't gotten enough rest this past week as she buckles down on her academics, as well as playing her heart out in volleyball. I'd witnessed both firsthand.

Leaning back so that the two of us take up more of the empty room on the couch, my back makes contact with a cushion and I watch Lexi to make sure I haven't disturbed her. Her dark eyelashes flutter against her high cheekbones but don't open. I lean my head back and look up at the ceiling, tightening my arms around the sleeping girl on my chest who is the closest person to my heart, and I am not speaking physically.

 I lean my head back and look up at the ceiling, tightening my arms around the sleeping girl on my chest who is the closest person to my heart, and I am not speaking physically