68

The holidays had been uneventful for the most part, which is just how I like it

The holidays had been uneventful for the most part, which is just how I like it. I've had so much fun just being lazy for once and not having anything to worry about. Vitaly is great company and when he isn't at training, he's on my lap watching a movie with Chase and me.

Faye has been out and about, busy as usual because nothing can keep her inside all day, not even a puppy. Vitaly is already the gift that keeps giving, and I completely adore him. He is already so well behaved and we just got him. I don't know if he is naturally like this or if it's his training paying off, but either way, I'm not complaining.

"So you know that it's New Years' Eve today right?" Chase asks from beside me. Currently, I'm leaning against the armrest of the couch with Vitaly on my lap and my legs draped over Chase's lap.

I roll my eyes. "Yes dear, I'm not quite senile yet," I say, turning my head to face him instead of the tv.

"There will be a party at the house tonight, but before you say anything, I would never ask you or expect you to go back there anytime soon, or at all, so I'm just letting you know that there is going to be one." He says cautiously. Where did I find this man? He is so sweet and protective of me and I couldn't ask for anything better.

"Chase, I'll be okay. Thank you for telling me, because we'll be there." I say with finality, leaving no room for discussion. I can tell he's surprised and honestly, so am I, but I realized that I don't want to hide forever, and I know that all of our friends will be there, and we should go spend time with them at least.

With the encouragement from everyone, especially Chase, I've been going to see a therapist weekly to talk about what occurred on Halloween. I haven't spent any nights without Chase or Vitaly, but I feel like I'm making progress and closing myself off less. Especially with no more secrets between us.

He looks wary and I can tell he's about to say something but I interrupt. "I'm ready. We're going." I say again and get up off the couch, forcing Vitaly to sit on Chase instead while he whines and looks up at me as if I've abandoned him.

I shower and leave my hair down to air dry, as we still have a few hours before we'll have to leave. Putting lotion on all over my body, I get up and play some music while doing my makeup. I jump when I notice Chase, leaning in the doorway, taking in the sight before him.

Laughing, I realize that I must look ridiculous in my towel, wiggling around on the chair trying to dance while humming along to the song playing, and trying to do my makeup.

This time, I go for a darker, more elaborate look than usual as it is New Years' Eve and because I feel like it. I apply concealer and bronzer, then I apply a smokey grey eyeshadow to my eyes and line them with eyeliner. Finishing off the look with mascara and leaving my eyebrows how they are, I turn to Chase with my thumb pointing towards the ceiling then the floor, asking if it looks good or bad.

He nods. "Stunning, but I was going to say that before you put all that on." He says, waving his hand around my face, referring to the makeup. I blush, still not able to take his frequent compliments, but I smile nonetheless.