34

"What did you get Chase for his birthday?" Faye asks me as we're walking back to the parking lot after her classes finished up

"What are you talking about? When is his birthday?" I turn to her, confused. Surely he would have mentioned it if his birthday was coming up.

Her eyebrows furrow as she looks up at me. "Like, three weeks-ish. October fifteenth." She winces with her lips parted and teeth bared.

"You knew this and I didn't? What the hell?" I say that last part to myself. "Did he tell you himself?" I find myself more hurt than I thought I would.

She shakes her head. "No, it's not like that. I was just with Reece when they were talking about it. He said he doesn't want a party or anything."

"Oh. I wonder why he didn't say anything. Whatever, it's fine."

"Obviously not. Wanna go to the mall and find something for him?" She asks and I nod.

"Yeah. I can't get him what I want there but I'll get something else."

"Ooh like lingerie?" She smirks.

"No Faye, not like lingerie."

"Are you sure this isn't for Chase? You know blue is his favorite color too?" Faye sings as I hold up a blue lace teddy in the lingerie store. I roll my eyes.

"Yes, I am sure," I say, shaking my head as I do and we both laugh. I'm happy that I can be real with Faye. "Seriously though, I don't know what to do. Every time I think we may be flirting or something, he changes the subject."

"He's so good at that. But do you think maybe he does it because he has the same fears as you do? What if you didn't feel more towards him. Those silences that he fills would be awkward." She says as she browses through the lace and satin.

"Since when did you get so wise?" I look back up at her with one eyebrow raised. Faye rolls her aqua blue eyes, bored.

"I've always been this way, you've always just been worrying too much to notice." She sasses, crossing her eyes and scrunching her nose up at me.

"Fine. Maybe you're right—"

"I know I'm right."

"Okay but wait. What if you're wrong about what you said before. Chase could just...he could just want to stay friends." Faye snorts.

"Hun, of course, that is a possibility, but think about it. When was the last time you saw him with a girl?"

"At the part—" My face falls in realization and Faye nods.

"And what does his face look like when you walk into a room?" She asks. The answer is: elated. "How often does he come to watch your games?" As often as he can. "What does he call you?" Angel. Love. "Do you catch him staring at you in a bikini—"

"Alright. I get it. That is some attention you have been paying to us. I'll be sure to hire you if I ever need a PI." I joke but internally, my nerves are fried and the butterflies are no longer contained to my stomach.

"Just saying. My personal opinion? That boy loves y—"

"This one?" I cut her off breathily, unable to hear any more. Holding up a piece of red lingerie to distract her because I absolutely refuse to get my hopes up about Chase. He may be one of the best friends I've ever had, but his reputation as a player makes him unpredictable and I can't trust that I'm the exception.

Unless Chase assures me otherwise, my feelings will be staying safely hidden.