31

"What do you mean it was your birthday

"What do you mean it was your birthday. And you didn't think to tell me at the game?" I say frustratedly to Sky and she visibly shrinks, as much as a person over six feet tall can. She shrugs with a pout.

"It hasn't ever been a big deal before. Every year, Atlas gets me a present and a cake and we eat it and hide from our trainers." My eyes widen.

"What the hell? Seriously?" She nods pathetically. This poor girl. "Well...I don't know what to say. You don't want a party?" I ask her and she shakes her head vehemently.

"No, please. I don't enjoy parties. Or big groups of people in general." She corrects her posture as soon as she notices her spine curving. Nodding, I pout because I want to do something nice but I don't want to do anything that would make her uncomfortable. Sky seems to like her comfort zone.

"Alright. I'll back off. Next year, I'll at least spend some of the day with you, how about that?" I ask and she smiles genuinely, her sharp canines poking into her red lower lip, appearing as though they may pierce the skin and draw blood any second.

"It's a plan."

"If it was your friend's birthday, why are you with us and not her? Or why isn't she here?" Maddox asks as we walk together on the sidewalk, Faye and Reece leading the way while Chase and Luke hang back.

"She's jealous of how much time I spend with you and couldn't stand to be with either of us." I answer, biting my lip.

"Seriously?" He looks over at me, his dark eyebrows pulling towards each other.

"No. I just made that up. You're so gullible." I laugh, elbowing him. Maddox bumps me hard enough that I stumble off the sidewalk but thankfully, I catch myself on a perfectly placed tree to prevent myself from toppling over. Running to catch up, I jump on his back and pretend to put him in a headlock as his hands support my legs.

"You're so tiny. It's adorable." He coos and I squeeze my arms around his neck as a warning.

"I'm not tiny. At all. Right, Faye?" I ask, knowing she'll answer yes to anything I ask without hearing.

"Of course!" She replies enthusiastically, not even turning around. Maddox snorts and shakes his head. I loosen my grip around his neck and drape my arms over both shoulders.

"You're trying to prove a point by asking the fairy?" He condescends and I purse my lips. He has a point. Faye is actually tiny.

"Agree to disagree?" I offer.

"Is Lexi small?" Maddox asks anyone within hearing distance.

"What do you want me to say? That she's a whale?" Luke asks sarcastically.

"She's got a big...heart." Chase jokes and I chuckle, glancing back at him with a side-smile.

"Okay enough, please. I'd rather this not turn into locker room talk." I cringe. Guys talk, but I don't want to hear it. It makes me queasy thinking about Chase talking about our night in any great detail. Faye only knew the condensed version.

"Ah yes. The famed talk of the locker room." Faye turns around and walks backward. "I wanna hear it. You guys never talk shop with us. We're bros too." She pouts ridiculously, her red-stained lips jutting out.

"Bros don't have tits. Sorry babe." Maddox says and bounces me on his back. I look down my shirt and frown.

"I didn't want to hear it before, but that's not fair," I say.

"Don't take it to heart. It's a compliment to both of you. It means he cares what you think." Luke states and Maddox laughs unconvincingly and drops me without warning. Still holding onto his shoulders, I manage to slide down his back and gain my footing.

"Dick," I mutter.

"Nosy dork." He retorts and walks ahead of me, although I know that we were just bantering and that it wasn't a real argument.

"Good one!" I stick my tongue out at Maddox's back and soon enough, someone takes his place.

"You might not know this, but Maddox is actually really shy. Well, shy may not be the right adjective. Reserved." Chase reveals and I nod, my eyes wide with sarcasm.

"Are we talking about the same Maddox?"

"I've never seen him open up like he does with you. You're definitely a bro." He says and I smile genuinely, watching Maddox's broad back.

"The word 'bro' sounds so weird coming out of your mouth," I say and Chase shrugs.

"Apparently a lot of things sound odd when I say them."

"Say...orange," I demand and Chase puts his tongue in his cheek.

"Or-inge."

"Water bottle."

"Wo-tuh bot-tul," He says and I gasp.

"I like that one."

"You like water bottle." He deadpans. Nodding, I face ahead again with a close-lipped grin.

"Finally." Faye groans from up ahead and I watch as Reece leads her towards a pathway leading to the water that can be seen from over the trees in the distance.

"Just a little more this way!" He shouts so that the rest of us can hear him and I look at Chase, confused.

"We're just going to another beach?" He shakes his head.

"No, this place is special and as far as I know, not many people know about it."

"Abou-tit" I giggle and Chase reaches over to ruffle my hair so that it messily covers my face.

"Okay! Okay, I'll stop. Don't get your knickers in a twist." I run ahead, weaving around our friends to get away from Chase who will surely be chasing me. The trees open up at the end of the path to a beautiful rock platform that overlooks the ocean. Beach to the left, this place makes a perfect place to jump off into the water and climb back up to. Those who are too daunted to jump can simply walk down the gradual slope to get to the sand.

Chase is right behind me and I smile, biting my bottom lip in excitement. Wasting no time, I strip my shirt off and unbutton my shorts. The height is daunting but I know that it looks higher than it is. "It's safe?" I ask and all the guys nod. Chase grabs my hand, kisses my knuckles, and holds them up between us by bending our elbows.

"Leap of faith. I'll be right beside you the whole way down." Chase reassures me and my heart goes wild in my chest. I can't help but think of this situation as a metaphor for the jump I've been wanting to make with him.

Falling together sounds so much better because no matter what awaits us at the bottom, the two of us went through the process hand-in-hand.