47

"Holy Fuck

"Holy Fuck."

My jaw is practically on the floor and I realize that I was the one to say that. I stare back and forth between the two. How do you keep a twin a secret?

"Chase, this is Tatiana, my sister," Lexi says with such veiled disgust that I know immediately that she's a fan of her father compared to her sister.

"Hey, good to meet you," I say to the blonde that is currently checking me out as if her life depends on it. She lazily draws her brown eyes up to meet mine before smiling cunningly and holding out a dainty hand for me to shake. I take it and she pulls herself in to meet my body and she hugs me, wrapping her arms around me. I stiffen, feeling uneasy.

She isn't Lexi. It's all wrong. It feels wrong to hold her.

Tatiana lets go of my shoulders and smiles up at me, finally looking over to her sister and giving her a quick hug as well, probably just to be polite. Anyone could feel the uncomfortable tension between the three of us. Lexi doesn't hug her sister back and turns to me. "I think it's almost six, you hungry?" she asks me and I nod eagerly, mostly to escape the room and not for the food. I follow Lexi out of the room, passing her sister on the way who smirks at me, following us out as well.

Where Lexi and I turn left to make our way downstairs, Tatiana turns right and we part ways. I breathe out the air that I didn't know I was holding in and reach for Lexi's hand, more to comfort her rather than myself. She squeezes my hand and leads us through a hallway and the kitchen to get to the backyard.

When we arrive, I notice that we aren't the first. I only recognize the one face, Lexi's dad, who is talking to four other men underneath a tall white tent. Lexi leads me over to a group of impeccably dressed women chatting amongst themselves. "Mom, this is my friend Chase, he'll be staying for Thanksgiving." Lexi's words catch the attention of the group but I immediately know which woman is her mother. Lexi's father is very obviously Caucasian but Lexi's mum looks more exotic, like Lexi but more pronounced.

"Pleasure." She says holding out her hand. I shake it gently.

"Nice to meet you, Mrs. Thompson." I greet with a smile, not feeling uncomfortable around her warm-ish personality.

"Please, call me Yasmin. Any friend of Alexis is a friend of our family. Excuse me, I'll be back. Chase, please make yourself at home and if you need anything, don't be afraid to ask." She says and leaves to go back inside the house.

"That went well, she's nice," I remark, turning to face Lexi who looks uncomfortable under the curious glances from the group of women. "Where is she from? I can't believe I never thought to ask before..." I trail off, looking over Lexi's features.

"Yeah, it would seem so. And my mom's family is from Palestine. But none of us have ever been, or plan to go there." She mumbles. I can tell that Lexi doesn't get along well with the rest of her family, and the fact that she hasn't mentioned them once in the months that I've known her says a lot. I place my hand on her back comfortingly.