50

Tatiana stands unguarded on the porch with her defenses low and her emotions displayed on her face for the first time in so many years

Tatiana stands unguarded on the porch with her defenses low and her emotions displayed on her face for the first time in so many years. Tears well in her eyes, identical to mine, and her lower lip trembles as she fidgets with her hands awkwardly. Clearing her throat, she looks straight at me and takes a step forward.

"I'm so sorry for how I treated you all this time. For never standing up for you." Her voice wavers vulnerably. "I turned a blind eye and I regretted it as soon as it would happen, but I didn't stop. I'm despicable and I hate myself for doing that to you, for making you feel alone when I could have been there for you, when we could have been there for each other." She takes a deep breath, closing her eyes briefly.

"And for kissing Chase. I don't even know why I did it. I've just always wanted to be like you. I guess I just want what you have. I was so selfish though. I'm so sorry that I ruined us. I will never do any of it again. I'm so so sorry A. This was just, it was the last straw. If dad isn't okay with me taking your side, then screw him." She says, trying to hold back her sobs. I haven't seen this much emotion from her since our cat Nyx died when we were five.

I pause, letting her words sink in. "You're not off the hook, but I'm calling a truce so I can hug you," I say and hold her lovingly for the first time in what feels like forever. Her arms are thin but somehow familiar, even after years of not having them hold me. Eventually, we pull back, laughing at each other's appearance after both crying.

"This is so not what I had in mind when I found out you had a twin," Chase says and we both smack him at the same time. "Perv." We both say also at the same time and immediately burst into laughter. We haven't done that since we were children.

"Chase, I'm sorry for coming onto you," Tatiana says sheepishly, looking at me and I try not to glare at her. Chase shrugs.

"Well, I guess I'll text you guys?" I ask and my siblings both nod eagerly. I watch as Elijah brings Tatiana into a hug and a tear escapes my eye.

"That was so much worse than I expected," Chase laughs trying to lighten the mood as we sit in my car, but I just shake my head and look out the window as he drives away.

"No, it was so much better."

The ride back seemed longer but I wasn't bothered. I had a lot on my mind to sort out. I don't know if I would have had the confidence to speak up for myself if Chase hadn't been there, and I'm so grateful that he was.

He carries my bag up to the apartment and walks in when I open the door. I smile amusedly but tilt my head in concern when I notice the pensive expression on his face. I had been so absorbed in my own thoughts during the trip that I hadn't noticed that he was deep in thought as well.

"Chase?" I ask and snap him out of some sort of reverie. He looks at me like a man on a mission and takes three long strides to get to me. I put a hand on his heaving chest, unsure of his intention with his face lingering so close to mine. I close my eyes when his familiar scent reaches my nose. "Chase. Just friends remember?" I say, regrettably keeping him at bay.

"No."

"No?" No?

"No, I won't just be friends with you. So what if it started off with a one night stand. The second I saw you, I felt drawn to you. You're absolutely magnetic. We couldn't stay away from each other if we tried, and tried we have. Multiple times." He is now standing so close that our noses touch slightly, my eyes are closed and his minty breath fans my face.

"But–" He doesn't even listen to what I have to say before cutting me off with a scorching kiss. Just like the first time, and the time after that, I can't get enough, immediately kissing him back. His hands cup my blushing cheeks and my hands grip his shirt at his waist, wanting to bring him closer. His hands let go only to grab my waist and lift me up to latch onto him, our mouths only disconnecting when I gasp, immediately finding their way back to each other. I wrap my arms around his neck and tighten my legs around him, breaking apart from him to catch my breath, pressing our foreheads together.

"God, I love your lips." Chase breathes out against mine. I start to laugh. Chase just looks like I'm crazy when I do this and tap his hands in order for him to put me down.

"Come on, lover boy. We at least need to close the door."