59

After finally pushing him onto the team bus, I wave to Chase through the window as they drive off to their tournament

After finally pushing him onto the team bus, I wave to Chase through the window as they drive off to their tournament. Chase was extremely reluctant and asked his coach if he could possibly not go, which earned him a long lecture, and if his coach didn't worship him to death, he probably could've gotten stripped of his captaincy.

Chase texts me as soon as the bus pulls away from the curb.

Chase: I miss you already

Me: You're ridiculous

Chase: I do! Happy to be rid of me?

Me: Yeah, I think I'll throw a huge party...

Chase: I'd rather be with you right now. I have to sit next to Reece.

Me: Poor Reece.

Me: Good luck at your game, I'll be doing homework.

Me: Call me tomorrow?

Chase: Can't wait to hear your voice

I go back to my apartment to try to do homework but am constantly being distracted by other noises, so after a while, I give up and get ready to go to the gym. Slipping into a pair of black leggings with mesh on the sides, a red sports bra, and black running shoes, I tie my hair into a high ponytail and grab my keys before heading out. My bag is grabbed on the way and I lock the door, jogging down the stairs before deciding to jog all the way to the school instead of driving.

I take everything in as I go, going the long way in order to explore places that I haven't yet seen in my three months here so far.

Three months, I think. I can't believe that I've only been here for three months. I feel like Chase and I have been doing our little back and forth thing for years. In the longest three months of my life, I've made a few amazing friends that I know I'll have forever, I've done well in school, I've proven myself in volleyball time and time again, I've made up with my siblings for the most part and we're working on building our relationship back up again, and I've fallen in love.

I'm not even surprised by my revelation. Of course, I love Chase, how could I not? Not only because of everything that he's done for me, and been there for me for, but because of how I feel when I'm with him, and who I am around him. He makes me so happy and I know that if I lost him, I'd be broken for a long time.

I've grown so attached to everyone in my life, and I just hope that they all feel a fraction of what I feel for them. Faye, and Chase, even Maddox, Luke, Reece, and Sky. My thoughts are halted when I find myself standing in front of the gym in the fitness center on campus. I open the doors and am greeted by the cool air created by the air conditioning, and I make my way inside. I decide on doing some weight training and stretching, and then going to practice on the courts.

There are only a few people around, mostly large guys benching as much as they possibly can and their friends shouting at them while spotting. I roll my eyes at the testosterone display and grab a bar off the racks to load up my weights, carrying it over to a squat rack and starting my set.

I feel eyes on me as I do each rep but ignore them, knowing that it's probably some creep who gets distracted by anything with an ass and tits. Finishing up and unloading the weights, I look around and see multiple guys' faces whip away as soon as I look up, not wanting to get caught staring.

"Hey!" I hear a distinctly feminine voice from behind me so I turn around only to be greeted by Sky. I smile and give her a hug, laughing at the way that she towers over me. Her waist-length red hair is up in a ponytail and her freckled-face is completely bare. She's like the tall, innocent version of Faye.

"Hi! Good to see a familiar face." I tell her honestly. My patience for the males around me was wearing thin.

"I don't mean to interrupt, I just thought that I would come say hi," She smiles shyly.

"No, don't worry about it. I was just gonna go practice after working out, do you want to join me?" I offer, not wanting to be alone and wanting to get to know my partner better. Sky and I are often paired together for volleyball and we work really well as a team, but she doesn't have much free time due to her crazy training schedule.

"I'd love to. We can go grab a bite after? I always feel starved after practice." She says, rubbing her stomach and pouting making me laugh again. I walk over to the machine area and she follows.

"Sounds good to me, I'm always hungry." Sky and I both get onto different machines, adjusting the weight and working out in silence. After about thirty minutes, I walk over to the mats to stretch out. I begin to gather my stuff as Sky does, and together we leave, drawing appreciative glances from the guys in the gym that are impossible to miss.

"Hey Sky, do you maybe want to do this again sometime? Working out is so much more fun with a partner." I ask.

"Yes! I'd love that," She gushes happily and I smile, following her towards the courts, glad to have made another friend. We make our way to the locker room to change. I put on my volleyball outfit, and grab my ball.

We go over to the wall and warm up our arms for spiking and serving by practicing against it. We both walk to opposite sides of the court and I throw my ball to the side before turning to face Sky and she does the same, keeping her ball in her hands.

"Ready?" She shouts, getting into serving position and I laugh, bending my knees in the ready position, giving her a thumbs-up as my response. She takes a few steps back and throws the ball straight in the air, jumping up and serving the ball to me hard with a perfect topspin. I bump it back over and we take turns bumping it back and forth until I end up dropping it.

We rally back and forth a couple of times, eventually deciding to take a water break. We sit side by side on the bench. "So what's your deal? Like with the Olympics?" I ask.

"Well, my brother and I are both training to be in the next Olympics. He swims, I play volleyball, obviously." I raise my eyebrows and nod in admiration.

"Wow. That's crazy. And soon. How long have you been playing?" I ask curiously.

"Since I was six, but competitively since I was eight. That's when we were adopted." I smile. I want to say wow again but I stop myself.

"I think I'm in love with you," I say jokingly and Sky laughs, taking another sip of her water.

"It's not all that it's cracked up to be, but if you wanted to train with me, I'd love to help out. Maybe you can come along for the ride?" She smiles genuinely as if the idea of me going to the Olympics isn't incredible and insane.

"Yeah okay," I laugh, standing up and twirling the ball in my hand as I walk back to my court. 

Could Sky really be serious?