23

I wake up clutching the turtle that Chase won for me

I wake up clutching the turtle that Chase won for me. After he'd won it, he volunteered to hold it for me for the rest of the time we were at the fair so that I had my hands free to play other games. Now his scent of pine still lingers on it and I'm not sure whether I regret letting him carry it or want to send him a handwritten thank you letter.

Rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, I walk into the kitchen and let out a shrill scream at the sight of a man rifling through my fridge. He stands up quickly and turns to face me with wide eyes.

"Not exactly how I imagined making you scream," Chase says and I clutch a hand to my heaving chest.

"Holy shit. How the hell did you get in here and so early?" I look towards Faye's closed door and it doesn't swing open like I expected it to. That girl could probably sleep through a 10.0 earthquake. Looking back at Chase, I hug my arms around my bare stomach.

He holds up a key. "Under the mat? Really? It's like you want to get robbed." He puts it back in his pocket and I walk over to grab it from him. He takes a step back and nods his head towards my room. "Go get ready, I'll cook."

"Um...no. You don't just get to—" Chase spins me around and walks me to my room, opens the door, pushes me inside, and shuts the door in my face. I shake my head at his gall.

Changing quickly, so as to give him as little time alone in my apartment as possible, I step out and make my way into the kitchen. "Chase. What are you doing?"

"I'm making an omelet, what does it look like?" He smiles cheekily at me over his shoulder and continues to cook breakfast for me. Sitting at the counter uneasily, I watch him.

"Why?"

"Because we're friends. Also, I'm going to drive you to class. I figured it would be better for everyone." He states matter-of-factly.

"Oh did you now? I don't remember being asked."

"You weren't. Here you go." He takes a plate out of the cupboard and serves up the omelet for me, leaning his elbows on the counter to watch me.

I fake a smile and mutter "thanks" before accepting the fork and digging in. It tastes really good, but I don't want to admit it, still curious and slightly hesitant about the situation he is putting me in.

"Why do you want to drive me? Especially now that everyone knows we slept together. They'll think we're dating." I mumble, looking up at Chase but he just shrugs.

"Who cares what they think?" He asks, his voice full of conviction and I shrug. Watching me for a second, he speaks up again. "If you care...say no and I'll listen this time. It was just an idea..." He looks down and suddenly I feel bad.

"Wait, I didn't mean to dismiss you, I'm just confused. Faye is the only friend I've ever had and this is just new. I don't really understand why you would want to be friends with me anyway..."