37

i was so nervous. why was he here?

lannan, who was sat next to me, leaned over and whispered "who's that?"

"james. my ex. i was with him for 3 years, i broke up with him 4 months before i moved to australia. i went to his house an hour before we had arranged because i was bored and i caught him sleeping with one of my friends. i haven't spoken to him since although he's tried to call me." i explained

"what a dick. do you want me to go and speak to him?" lannan reassured me, putting his hand on my back and rubbing it to comfort me.

"no, i'll go"

i got up and i could hear james questioning sam. i approaches the door and told sam i'd deal with it and he walked over to lannan, talking to him about james.

"(y/n). hi." he blurted out.

"what are you doing here james?"

"i saw you were back in town and i just had to come and see you. i still love you" he said, reaching out to hold my hand but i flinched it away before he could.

his expression suddenly dropped when he saw the ring on my finger and he looked back at me.

"i knew you were with someone, but i didn't realise you were engaged"

"yeah, um, we got engaged last month. please james, just do yourself a favour and leave"

"no, (y/n), i still love you. from what i've seen, that lennan of yours seems like a prick, i can treat you so much better than he can, just come with me and leave him" he pleaded

"his name is lannan and i'm more than happy with him. happier than i was with you. now leave, please" i tried to shut the door but he wedged his foot in the door way so it wouldn't close.

"i know you want me, just say it and we can be together" he pushed the door open wide and holding it there so it couldn't be closed, causing it to slam against the wall.

the loud bang made lannan rush from the kitchen over to the door. he stood slightly in front of me, protecting me.

"excuse me, this is a private conversation" james said to lannan, standing upright to make himself look bigger and intimidating in front of lannan.

"i don't like the way you're treating my fiancé" he squared up to james, trying to look stronger.

"don't think she's your fiancé anymore, she's just told me she loves me" he smirked, crossing his arms

"(y/n)? is this true?" lannan turned to me, shocked.

"no of course not, i love you. james, how could you?" i turned away and ran down back to the living room and hugged sam, explaining everything.

lannans POV

i knew james was lying, i trust (y/n) and i know she wouldn't say that.

"i think it's best if you leave. now." i demanded

"but i love her, and i know she loves me, i'm not going until she's mine" he tried to step up into the doorway but i gave him a firm shove back down

"hey, back off aussie"

i stepped down the doorstep so i was right infront of him, pushing my chest against his, showing how much taller i was than him.

"or what?"

he didnt say anything, just looked me up and down with a scared and regretful look on him face.

"now i suggest you leave and never try to talk to my fiancé again" i said, pushing him back and he finally walked back to his car and drove away.

i went back into the house and shut the door, making my way into the living room. when i went in, (y/n) was crying being comforted by sam when she looked up to me and sat up.

"has he gone?" she asked

"for good, i made sure he wouldn't come back, don't worry" i sat next to her, and she leaned into my chest as i wrapped my arms around her.

"you're the best, i love you"

"i love you too, i'll make sure he never bothers you again"