chapter 23 The prom

Jannah pov

The prom is going to take place in two weeks, I told my mother I don't want to go.

" Mum, I'm not going, proms are not for hijabis, plus I don't have any friends " I said.

" Look me in the eyes and tell me it's not about James " she said.

" And I don't want to see him " I said In surrender.

" Jannah, my baby, look, prom is once in a lifetime experience, when you reach my age, you will look back at all the opportunities you missed to have fun, and you will regret it " she explained warmly.

" Mum, when I reach your age, I'll be too old to think about proms " I said.
I didn't think about what came out of my mouth.

" Jannah, what did you say?!! I'm too old " she said narrowing her eyes.

" Oh, I mean, I'll be too busy to think about proms " I said mentally facepalming myself.

" Jannah, you are going, end of discussion " my mum said leaving the room.

Now, I'll have to face James, something I have been running from this whole time.

The day before the prom, my mum came into the room with a dress in her hands.

" Ta Da, your dress " she said happily.

I looked at it and it was absolutely breathtaking.

" Mum, woww, that's really beautiful " I said in amazement.

It was a two part dress, the upper part was white, and the skirt was pink , I loved it, but I still had a question.

" But how..how did you afford it ??!!, It looks really expensive " I asked.

" Your brother bought it for you, it's his treat, he is trying to make it up to you for all the past years " she said.

" Oh, Mum " I said hugging her.

On the morning before the prom,I was really nervous, I put on my dress, with a light peige chiffon scarf to go with, I wore very light natural looking makeup, my mum wanted me to put any golden accessories but I declined

" Mum, it's America, people wear diamonds and silver, not gold" I explained.

My brother came to pick me up,