Chapter 19 The Path Of Allah

James pov

I drove to the nearest hospital I could find. As soon as we arrived there, I left the car carrying Jannah like a baby in my arms.

She looked so exhausted, but all I wanted was for her to open her eyes to make sure She was doing okay.
" Come on Jannah... Keep fighting... I need you... Come on... Open your eyes" I kept saying.

I rushed through the hospital doors with her in my arms.

" I need a doctor, She is hypothermic " I shouted.

The nurses rushed to my spot with a stretcher, and I put her on it.

" We will do our best sir " one of them said.

They took her into an ER room, and I couldn't see her anynore.

I sat in the lobby waiting for anybody to Come out to reassure me.

I noticed that I was getting a lot of starring.

" What's wrong?" I said as I looked down, " Of coarse I'm shirtless " I facepalmed myself.

I forgot that I took my shirt off before jumping into the water to save Jannah.

" Matt can you get me any shirt? " I asked my assisstant politly.

Ten minutes later, a doctor came out of the room, I ran in his direction.

" How is she? She is gonna be okay, right? " I asked him.

" She is okay now, but her brain has been deprieved from oxygen for a long time, we don't know the extent of the damage her brain has been exposed to" he said.

" And when.... Will we know?" I asked.

" When her general condition becomes better, Today we are keeping her on a ventilator conservatively, excuse me " he said, leaving me lost in my thoughts.

Matt heard what the doctor said.

" Matt, if anything bad happens to her, I swear I will kill Falcone with my own hands " I said to him, clenching my fist.

Matt went to get me a shirt, and I sat alone in the lobby.

I was thinking about Jannah and the pain she had to endure for me, the battle she had to go through for me, she didn't deserve this, I didn't deserve her.

If I lose her, I'll kill myself, I can't handle loosing her.

I put my head on the wall behind me,  and tears uncontrolably fell down my  cheeks, they burnt as they fell, but they gave me some sort of relief.

" Son, are you okay? " I heard a stranger's voice saying.

I snapped back into reality, and I dried my tears.

I looked at the source of the question, it was an elderly man, in his seventies, his face had every wrinkle in the book it made him look more like a mummy than a living person, he was smiling at me with his few leftover teeth.

" I think so " I tried to smile slightly to relieve the situation.

" Son, Do you believe in God? " he asked.

" Yes... Yes.. I do believe in God " I said shamfully of not practising for a while now.

" God will never bring upon you some thing that you can't handle, every hardship he sends us is to make us stronger, not to destroy us, he is not our enemy, we are ourselves worst enemies " he said without breaking his beautiful smile for a moment.

His words washed my heart like ice poured on burning cool.
His words reminded me of Jannah's words, how she spoke, how she saw the world, that's why she was never broken.

I was speechless so I just smiled at him and cried.

He hugged me tightly and never let go until I calmed down.

" You want to hear my story Son? I was diagnosed with stage four prostate cancer, they told me I had Three months to live, they have been bringing me here only to give me analgesics, they just want me to die In peace, everytime the doctors see me they wonder how am I still alive?!! between you and me I also wonder how am I still alive?!! they have been waiting for my death for six months now " he let out a laugh, the he continued " But to be honest if I die tomorrow, I'm okay, I have had a good life son, maybe God wants to give me a longer time to say goodbye to my children and grandsons " he said.

I just smiled at his story, I felt so belittled by his fight against time.

" Son, I'll have to go pray now, excuse me " the old man said, getting up.

" Wait, you are a muslim, sir ? " I asked him.

" Yes Son, and I'm not a terrorist " he said jokingly.

" Okay, can I join you? " I asked eagerly.

" You are a..... Of course Son " the man seemed a little confused, but welcoming.

We found a secluded spot away from the people, then we started to pray.

As soon as I put my head on the ground, I started to cry.

I was ashamed of myself, I took my shahada years ago, but recently I haven't been acting like a muslim, I neglected my duties as a muslim, and now I came in surrender to the creator of heavens and earth.

It took me to almost lose Jannah to come back to my religion.

" I'm sorry ya Allah" I kept making dua'.

The man finished his prayer and put his hand on my back to calm me down.

I got up from my position as I calmed down.

I heard footsteps running towards us, it was Matt.

" They need you in the ICU!!! " he said.

Vote, comment, let me know your thought.