49

Tatiana barely makes contact with his lips before Chase pushes her off of his lap, neither of them noticing my presence in the doorway as I watch the scene unfold

Tatiana barely makes contact with his lips before Chase pushes her off of his lap, neither of them noticing my presence in the doorway as I watch the scene unfold. "What the fuck?" He shouts, wiping his lips angrily, cursing at her. Thank god that was unrequited. I feel my body deflate with relief as he rejects my sister.

"I saw the way you looked at me during dinner–" She begins in that sultry voice of hers only to be promptly cut off by Chase.

"With pity? I know I don't know you, but what the hell were you thinking? I understand that you and your sister aren't close, but do you seriously want to destroy any kind of relationship that you could ever hope to have with her, just because you're jealous of her?" My eyes widen. Where did I find this guy and how can I keep him indefinitely?

She glares at him. "I am not jealous!" She screeches, stamping her foot like an angry toddler.

He nods unbelieving. "Lexi is smart, beautiful, athletic, and talented. You may be beautiful on the outside as well but I don't know enough about you to answer the rest, as for the inside..." He trails off. "You seem to hate her and everything she does. Why sabotage it even further by going after me? You should know that I'm loyal to her if I'm willing to come here and deal with the lot of you." My heart feels so full listening to his words, he's standing up for me and simultaneously trying to patch mine and my sister's relationship after being in my house for less than a day. And he also sounds so good doing it.

She falters. "She's always gotten everything that she wanted. She was smart, so teachers loved her. She's beautiful so boys wanted her. She's kind so everyone wanted to be her friend. It was always Lexi and Tatiana, never the other way around. I was a bitch, so it didn't matter if I was beautiful or not when she was the literal better version of me." She says sadly and I feel a pang of guilt.

I don't notice that I'm crying until I feel water drop onto my hand that's resting on the door. Without another thought I push into Chase's room, making them aware of my presence. "Do you really feel that way?" I ask her, my voice hoarse with unshed tears. Tatiana's eyes widen and the guilt and remorse that had previously filled her eyes is gone as quickly as she can blink, replaced with the usual malice directed towards me.

"Of course not." She snaps and brushes past me on her way out, bumping my shoulder lightly.

"Well, that was unexpected," Chase says, breaking the uncomfortable silence left by my sister's abrupt absence.

"Tell me about it." I say with a forced laugh, still slightly uncomfortable that she kissed him but I know that I'll get over it. Using the back of my hand, I wipe off his lips with a cheeky smile on my face. "Anyway. I should be getting to sleep. We have a whole day of this tomorrow." I groan and wave goodbye to Chase as I exit his room and close the door behind me. As I get ready for bed, I realize that it doesn't really matter what my parents think at this moment. They've already made up their minds about both of us. Quietly, I make my way into Chase's room and crawl under the covers beside him as he sleeps.