Porter Gage

"Boss, do you ever actually use any of the shit you pick up?" Gage comments as you lifted an old telephone from the ruined wood desktop. You tsk as he finally called you out, turning around with a sheepish smile that you knew he couldn't resist.

"You don't think I could turn this into something great?" you ask him teasingly, setting the scrap down again.

He scratched the back of his head nervously, never wanting to say the wrong thing to you. Gage has recently been trying to spare your feelings more often, as he realized he caught some of his own for you. "Well, boss, you're not exactly like that mechanic guy you introduced me to."

"I think I have to potential to become as great as Sturges." you continued to test him, knowing Gage only wanted to speak the truth of your lack of skill when it came to building things. "Don't you think?"

"I think you're better at killin'." he still avoided the main discussion, causing you to roll your eyes. "Speakin' of, can we get goin'? The sun's 'bout to set."

"I'm not done salvaging for parts to modify my new power armor. Do you think this will help any?" you ask him cluelessly, picking up some old wires that you believed to actually be useless. Gage finally emitted a deep huff, taking the wiring from your hold and tossing it away.

"From what I've seen, if you get in that shop and try to make anything, you're gonna end up screwin' up the whole time." he paused for a moment after the words finally slipped out, but Gage didn't regret them one bit. "I mean that in the nicest way possible, boss. Jus' rather you not get in there and hurt yourself tryin'."

"Was that screw pun intended? Oh, whatever. At least I can count on you to look out for me." you smile at him, earning a grin from the man in return.

"Always will be, boss. Now let's ditch the scrap and hit the road, yeah?"