Robert MacCready

You wake up in a sweat, clutching your chest and breathing out heavily. The dream felt so surreal, you had to check your surroundings merely at each and every angle. MacCready awoke silently and rubbed his eyes with balled fists. The sight you would have found adorable, if you had not dreamt of him lying lifeless just moments before.

"Baby, what's wrong?" He instantly seemed to sense your distress, taking his arm that was already wrapped around your waist and pulling you in for a tighter embrace.

"Just a nightmare, Mac, you can— you can go back to sleep, hon." You tell him, cuddling into his side comfortingly and resting your head on his chest.

"You're not okay, and I'm not okay with that. So, what's bothering you, sweetheart?" He asked, meeting eyes with you.

You sigh softly, debating whether or not to tell him of the gruesome dream and the heartbreak you felt when you realized it could become a reality at any moment.

"It was about you." You start, with MacCready listening with open ears. "I couldn't save you and then you just– you just died. There was nothing I could do. And I couldn't bring you back, of course. I felt like I've lost everything... and then I woke up."

He understood completely what you meant, as MacCready often had the same kinds of nightmares. Before with Lucy, but now with you and Duncan. He plants a soft kiss to your temple, burying his nose against your cheek.

"You'll never have to worry about me going anywhere. Right here, with you, is where I'll always be. Nothing is going to change that." He says with much assurance, bringing a small smile to your face.

He removes his arm from your waist and brings his hand up to caress your cheek. "I love you, Y/N. And whenever you have these nightmares, you just wake up and I'll be right beside you to prove that they'll never become the real thing."

"I love you too, Mac."