Paladin Danse

You awake with a groan, hand immediately retracting to your lower stomach where you felt thick bandages patched over a wound. Suddenly, the events from the day before played in your mind and you doubled over in much pain from the gunshot wound. You swing your legs over the edge of the cot as an attempt to get up, but your strength hadn't quite built up again and you fell to the ground, emitting a large echo.

The wooden door creaks open but you didn't care to look up and see who it was. Their voice spoke out anyway, revealing his identity. "Soldier, you should be resting. Try not to move." Danse instructs, lifting you from underneath your arm and keeping a firm grip on your waist as he set you down.

You groan, realizing you would be stuck in the infirmary of the station for quite some time before help arrived. You close your eyes and breathe out a sigh.

"I never got to properly thank you, Y/N. What you did, it was brave, heroic. And on my part, I was being lousy and I put you in danger." None of what Danse said sparked your interest other than him using your real name, which he did on rare and sensitive occasions.

"It wasn't bravery that made me jump in the way of a bullet. It was quick thinking and the thought of losing you." you spoke low and soft, but Danse still heard every word and nodded his head.

"If I would have just stayed in my power armor—"

"Hey, don't blame yourself, Buzz Lightyear. I'm the one who told you that it's possible to live out of it. And it is..." you trail off, meeting his deep brown eyes. "But look, don't hurt yourself over this. I'm fine."

"You're shot." he corrected, "But you're strong, and I have no doubt in my mind that you'll make a smooth recovery in no time."

"Thanks, Paladin." you say with a half-smile.

Danse kneels to your cot, placing his hand on your shoulder. You were about to ask him what he needed, until the solider placed a soft kiss to your cheek and stood up straight again, clearing his throat. "Just call for me if you need anything." he nodded and exited the room, leaving you blushing madly and very confused.