Porter Gage

Gage watched you silently from across the room. You stared blankly out of the broken window of the Grille, your mind elsewhere. He saw you do this often and never questioned it, though it did worry him.

After another silent moment, he releases a deep huff, setting his armor that he was messing with on the table and walking over towards your figure. He places one of his rough hands over your shoulder, breaking you out of your trance and slightly jumping at his sudden presence.

"Oh, sorry. Didn't see you." You advert your gaze quickly, going to grab your things as you assumed he was wanting the two of you to get stuff done instead of sitting around.

Gage takes you by surprise when he pulls your bag out of your reach. "Stop, boss, we ain't goin' anywhere."

Confused, you question him. "Then, why did you come get me?"

He hesitates, but decides that he's had enough of your distant behavior. "I'ma just lay it on out there, boss. You ain't doin' too well."

"Excuse—"

"Not that way, I mean, you ain't bein' the same. Somethin's bothering you. I don't want this to be getting in the way when we're out killin'." He says, his tone much softer than you've ever heard, showing that Gage was genuinely concerned about you.

"It's nothing, really." You try to dismiss the situation, but Gage was persistent.

He takes a seat in front of you, showing that he wasn't going to move anytime soon. "It ain't good for someone as high up as you are to be bottling shit up."

"I'll never be who I was before. You don't see it as an issue, but you barely even know me. I've surrounded myself with people just like me, now, and I'm an awful person."

"Hey, we all have our guilty moments, boss. I know this ain't the lifestyle you chose, but it's what you make out of it." Gage tells you, thinking over your words. "If it bothers you so much 'bout me not knowin' you, why don't you just tell me who you are then?"

"I'm a killer, a raider. But I was a caring person at one point. A caring mother. This world has dragged me through shit." You let out a dry laugh, "So, I turned out to be shit."

"A mother?" Was all Gage made out of your statement. He heard all of it, just in generally shock from that confession.

"I know, it's hard to believe—"

"Well, now that I think 'bout it, you do have that... uh, motherly instinct. 'Member that time you stopped those two Pack idiots from fightin' over clothes? My first thought would be to just shoot 'em and be done with it, but you handled it well. Like a mother would." Gage gives you a soft smile, taking your hand in his own and holding it with much care. "You still have that part of you. It's not all lost."

You nod, happy with his response. It had been more than you were expecting and you couldn't complain about that. You give a light squeeze to his hand and fall into his shoulder for comfort. Gage looks down to your figure, surprised by this action, but he eases into it and wraps an arm around you.