56

"So where are we going?" I ask playfully for probably the sixth time since we climbed into the truck and started driving about three minutes ago

Chase just cracks a cheeky smile. "Don't you just love surprises?" He asks with a smirk, sneaking a glance at me in the passenger seat and gently places his hand on my thigh. Chase can't tell, but I'm literally shaking from nerves. I hold my hands together to prevent my shaking slightly, and my leg bounces up and down, distracting me. He wouldn't take me anywhere fancy right? He is only wearing a t-shirt.

I'm worried that Chase will think that he needs to take me somewhere fancy and expensive in order to have a good date. As we pull in to the parking lot of our intended destination, I know that I misjudged him.

Looking over at him, I smile genuinely while placing a sweet kiss onto his right cheek and climbing out of the truck. "I wanted to do that for you." He pouts and I just shrug. I look at the cute old school diner in front of us, smelling fries and burgers immediately as two people exit through the doors.

Chase walks around the truck and takes my hand in his, leading me into the diner. We stop in front of the hostess and she greets us, her smile reaching her eyes as she looks at us. The friendly-looking woman looks to be in her late-sixties but looks very good for her age, especially with the smile lines around her eyes and mouth, giving her a welcoming appearance.

"Hello you two, follow me and I'll bring you to your table. Grayson will be serving you tonight." She says and proceeds to lead us into a booth. "Can I get you any drinks to start?" She asks once we sit down.

"I'd like water please," I say, smiling up at her.

"One for me as well, thank you," Chase says politely.

"Okay, I'll be right back with those." Pam, as it states on her name tag, says before walking away.

"I just have to say, thank you so much for not bringing me to some fancy restaurant, this is so much more my style," I say to Chase, unable to stop smiling at his handsome face.

Chase raises an eyebrow. "I know, love. You act like I haven't been trying to find out every little thing about you since I met you." I blush at his words, feeling happy about the thought that he pays such close attention to me.

"What else do you know about me?" I ask, a teasing cadence in my tone, as I lean closer and rest my elbows on the table. Chase accepts the challenge.

"I know that your favorite color is blue. I know that you're extremely intelligent. I know that you're an amazingly talented volleyball player." He pauses, thinking. By now I'm already flustered by his compliments. "I know that you'd do anything for your friends and that you are so kind, even to people who don't deserve it, but you won't hesitate to stand up for yourself or anyone else." He finishes and I swear I can feel the moisture building up in my eyes at his thoughtful, kind words.

"Chase―" I stop when the waiter approaches with our waters.

"Hello, I'm Grayson and I will be your server today. Do you know what you would like?" Grayson says, his eyes on me the whole time and I can see Chase visibly tense at the attention I'm receiving.

"No, we'll keep looking, thanks," Chase says sharply and I try to bite back the smile that is threatening to form on my lips. Grayson nods and walks away, leaving me to let out a giggle once he's out of earshot. Chase just glares at me.

"I know you know I'm jealous. Why do you have to be so goddamn gorgeous, nobody can ever take their eyes off of you, me especially." He grumbles, making me blush.

"Tell me about it," I mumble sarcastically, but I know he heard me because he smirks. I know exactly how he feels. Everywhere we go, girls are all over Chase, and even though he pays as little attention to them as possible, nothing stops them from hanging all over him, it's revolting.

"Think you can handle me?"

"I know I can handle you, love." I press my knees together under the table, grateful that it's opaque.

"So let me guess. You'll get a double bacon cheeseburger with everything on it except tomato." Chase says, surprisingly reading my mind. That is exactly what I was going to get. He sees my baffled expression. "I know you don't think I do, but I listen. I haven't stopped listening since I first sat down next to you in class. You'd be surprised how much I know about you, baby." My heart skips a beat. Who knew Chase could be so adorable?

"Chase William Alexander." I shake my head, thoroughly impressed. Grayson once again graces us with his presence and Chase immediately rolls his eyes.

"Ready to order?" Grayson asks, once again, his gaze is directed solely at me, completely ignoring Chase.

"My boyfriend can order first," Chase smirks at my way of claiming him in front of the waiter, and I can tell he's very pleased. Grayson reluctantly turns towards Chase and takes down his order. I order as well and Grayson doesn't linger around.

My stomach rumbles and I look down at it glaring. "Hungry are we?" Chase asks with a teasing smirk on his face.

"God yes." I whine mockingly.

"I'm hungry too, but not for food." He gives me a sly wink as he makes me blush. The butterflies in my stomach don't let up and to say that the pressure between my thighs is noticeable would be an understatement.

"Well, we better get this show on the road then," I say after Grayson comes and set's our food down on the table.

"I guess we shall."