Chapter 2

Ellana

    We go to Lauren and Andy’s house. I’m so scared. Though I don’t know what their mom, Caitlin thinks about mutants, I have to go to the house just in case her thoughts are anything negative. We were all sitting in the kitchen: Me, Elisabeth, Lauren, Andy, and Caitlin.

    “It started happening..” Andy says, crying. “I couldn’t stop it. I was just so angry.”

    “Oh Andy,” Caitlin says, worried for her son. “I…I mean, I-I can’t believe you di-you didn’t feel anything? I just can’t believe there wasn’t any warning.”

“Mom, accept it,” Lauren says, annoyed. “Andy is a mutant.”

I look down at my hands. I can feel Lauren’s pain and I know that Elisabeth can feel it too.

“That’s how mutant abilities first appear. In moments of stress and anger.” Lauren continues. “Dad talks about this all the time.”

“Lauren, I we-we all know about your father’s work. I-I just don’t see how this suddenly makes you an expert.” Caitlin says.

“Mom, I know because…” Lauren starts. “How do you think we got out of that gym?”

“What are you saying?” Caitlin asks, her worry escalating.

“I got us out,” Lauren says.

I can’t believe she told her mom that she’s a mutant. I look at Lauren and I give her a small hug.

“You too?” Caitlin asks Lauren.

“Remember we were coming back from that concert at church? And the truck almost hit us?” Lauren asks. “For weeks you were saying it was a miracle we didn’t die.”

We all look at Lauren with pain in our eyes. It must hurt her badly to tell her own mother that she’s a mutant.

“That was three years ago,” Caitlin says, voice shaking. “Honey, why didn’t you tell me?”

“Don’t you think I tried?” Lauren snaps.

“You can always talk to me, always,” Caitlin says, walking around. “Your-your dad too. Whatever your issues.”

“Are you serious?” Lauren says, tears in her eyes. “Dad puts people like us in jail.”

I can see out the corner of my eyes Andy softly crying. I feel so bad for him.

“No, no, no. He prosecutes criminals.” Caitlin corrects, sniffling. “He-he, he’s not against mutants. It’s just the ones who hurt people.”

Are you sure about that, Caitlin?

“You mean the ones like me?” Andy says.

I can’t take this anymore. “Or like me?”

Everyone looks towards me.

Caitlin has an expression that’s between pain and worry. “What…what do you mean?”

“I, um. I’m a mutant, too.” I say. “I have always been a mutant. I just never had the courage to tell you.”

“Did, did you know about Lauren?” Caitlin asks.

Tears fall down my face. “Yes. I did. We made an agreement not to tell each other secrets.”

Caitlin walks up to me and hugs me. “I’m so sorry that you ever thought that it was okay to hide something like that.”

“I…didn’t want you to think that I’m a freak.” I say between sobs.