Chapter 6

Ellana

    I have been through so many near-to-death situations today, I feel like I’m ready for death to come upon me. Clarice has opened up so many portals in the past few minutes. Lauren is trying to close them as much as possible with her powers. I feel like the next time it happens, we might be in trouble. And what’s weird is that she keeps opening to the same place. Which gets more and more difficult as more people come up.

    The portals get worse and I can tell Marcos is getting worried.

    “Hey. If we get you that medicine, can you help her from here?” he says, walking up to Caitlin.

    She scoffs. “You can't just buy hydrocortisone-D at Walgreens. You have to get to the hospital, get in the Pyxis machine.”

    “Well, then we’ll take you.” he says. He turns to Lauren. “If this happens again, can you do whatever it is you just did?”

Lauren nods. “Yeah. I think so.”

    “No. I am not leaving my daughter here to close space holes.” Caitlin says.

    “Mom. It's okay. I can do this.” she says.

    “Caitlin, we’ll take care of her if anything happens.” Lisa says.

    Caitlin and Marcos leave.

    It’s going to be okay, Clarice. You’re going to be okay.

***

   The portals pop up again. Then John comes back with a girl with red hair. She looks not far from his age and they seem to have had a thing going on with them.

    “I don't know. They just keep opening. She's able to close them for now, but I don't know how much longer she can keep that up.” John says to the girl. “Next time the portal opens, we may have a serious problem.”

    The girl has a worried look on her face. “Johnny, if they come through-” Johnny? They totally used to date.

    “ I know, I know. We need to be ready to evacuate if necessary.” he says.

    “No. We have to get her away from here. We can't evacuate everyone.” the girl says.

    “Who’s she to say that Clarice has to go?” Lisa whispers to me.

I shrug my shoulders. “Maybe she just cares about the place.”

“Moving her is too dangerous. It just made it worse.” John says.

“So, what’s with you and Baby Strucker?” Lisa whispers to me.
    “What?” I ask, trying to focus at the situation at hand.

“Are you and Andy a thing?” she asks.

“Um, no.” I say. “And I don’t think this is the right time to talk about this.”

“Well, do at least think he’s cute?” she asks.

I sigh. “No, okay? He’s not my type.”

“No way. You have a crush on him!” Lisa says.

“Shut. Up.” I say through gritted teeth.

“You are blushing. You are totally crushing on him.” Lisa basically says, aloud.

“He can hear you.” I say. And for that, I elbow her in the stomach.

“You are very moody today.” she says.

“So, what are we gonna do?” the red haired girl asks.

“We're gonna hope Marcos gets back in time with the medicine.” John says.

God, please help us. We need Clarice to live. Or Reed dies.

Elisabeth

    Death is almost therapeutic to me, and that’s not a bad thing. Death is almost a wake-up call for me to try harder. Clarice seems to knocking on the reaper’s door, but he’s not home. And everytime one of her portal’s open. I just want to shoot a speck of fire through, to see where it’ll end up. But the portal’s could lead anywhere, so we don’t know what comes through. Sunlight dude, Marcos, seems to be worked up. But I think it’s fine.

    I just hope this doesn’t happen to me when I’m dying.

    “Hey. If we get you that medicine, can you help her from here?” He asks, walking towards Caitlin.

    “You can’t just buy hydrocortisone-D at Walgreens. You have to get to the hospital, get in the Pyxis machine.” She says. Speak in normal terms. I don’t understand doctor or medicine language.

    “Well, then we’ll take you.” Marcos says. He turns to Lauren. “If this happens again, can you do whatever it is you just did.”

    “Yeah I think so.” Lauren nods.

    “No. I am not leaving my daughter here to close space holes.” Caitlin says. Calm down. Lauren has powers, she can handle herself.

    “Mom. It’s okay. I can do this.” She says.

    I can see Caitlin not being convinced. “Caitlin, we’ll take care of her if anything happens.” I say. They both leave.

    Rude.

***
O

ne, two, three, four.
There’s a portal near the door.
Five, six, seven, eight.
We better not be super late.

I love my rhymes. John comes back with Cheetos, his “girlfriend.” Quotations because I don’t know.

    “I don’t know. They just keep opening. She’s able to close them for now, but I don’t know how much longer she can keep that up.” John says to red-head. “Next time the portal opens, we may have serious problems.”

    She has a worried face on. “Johnny, if they come through.” Hey! That’s not fair! That’s my nickname for him!

    “Who’s she to say that Clarice has to go?” I whisper to Ella.

    Ella shrugs her shoulders. “Maybe she just cares about the place.”

    “Moving her is too dangerous. It just made it worse.” John says. Ugh, this is so boring. And I don’t see Baby Strucker anywhere. I look towards Ella.

    “So, what’s with you and Baby Strucker?” I ask.

    “What?” She asks. Was I not clear enough?

    “Are you and Andy a thing?” I ask.

    “Um, no. And I don’t think this is the right time to talk about this.” She says. Bullshit.

    “Well, do you at least think he’s cute?” I ask.

    “No, okay? He’s not my type.” She says. I see the blush on her face.

    “No way. You have a crush on him!” I say.

    “Shut. Up.” She grits.

    “You are blushing. You are totally crushing on him.” I purposefully say out loud.

“He can hear you.” She elbows me in the stomach. I hold my stomach in pain. I look up at her.

“You are very moody today.” I conclude.

“So, what are we gonna do?” Cheeto asks.

“We’re gonna hope Marcos gets back in time with the medicine.” John says.

As much as I don’t know these people, I kinda hope Clarice lives.

We need our purple hair badass alive.