Chapter 4

Ellana

So apparently, Reed called this guy for some reason. He believes that he can help us get out of here. We almost got caught by a sentinel service drone and we immediately had to leave the motel. We also had to steal a guy’s truck to get away. I never thought my life would be like this. So intense and chaotic.

Reed pulls up at what I think is an abandoned parking garage.

“We’re here,” he says.

We get out of the truck and we walk up to see a man, who has dark hair and brown eyes. This is the man that Reed talked to.

“This everyone?” the man asks.

“Yeah, we’re all here,” Reed confirms.

“I want to know what happens now,” Caitlin demands.

“We get everyone supplies, food, water, blankets. Then we head down to the border.” the man explains. “Now come on.”

“We’re not going anywhere until I know what’s happening to my family.” Caitlin says.

“Look, we know people down there with…skills.” the man says. I believe his name is Marcos. “They track for mutants but we still got tricks they don’t know. Mostly we get people under the wall. Sometimes over. Sometimes even through.”

“And then, after that?” Reed asks.

“We get you new names, new IDs. There are churches, families can help you.” Marcos says.

There is a distant rustling noise in the background.

“What the hell was that?” I ask.

“Does anyone know you’re here?” Marcos asks Reed.

“No we didn’t say anything.” Reed says.

“Did you tell someone you were coming? Use a computer? The phone that you called me on?” Marcos was talking a mile a minute.

“When I called you, I used a new SIM card.” Reed explains. “There’s no way…”

Sirens pull up. Sentinel Services.

“Looks like they found a way.” Marcos says.

“This is Sentinel Services.” Jace Turner, the man from the house says. “Get on the ground, Put your hands on your heads. If you try to flee or resist, we will use deadly force.”

“They better not.” Lisa mumbles.

“Dad, what do we do?” Andy asks.

“There’s nothing we can do.” Marcos says, looking around, trying to find a place to escape.

“There must be something…We can talk to them.” Reed says.

“Talk?” Marcos says, scoffing. “Yeah, no, we’re way past that. You have no idea what they have in that car.”

“Oh my god. Oh my god. Oh my god.” I say. I feel somebody hold on to me. It takes me a few seconds to figure out it’s Andy. I don’t resist it. I’m way too scared to do anything right now.

“I want to speak to an attorney.” Reed demands.

“That is a bad idea.” Marcos mumbles.

“We’ll only negotiate if one is provided!” Reed continues.

“There will be no negotiation. Get your asses on the ground, now!” Jace yells.

“We are Americans. We have rights!” Reed points out.