Chapter 5

Ellana

    Everyone is talking all at the same time. Everyone is either crying, screaming, or trying to calm others down. Marcos goes to check to see if Clarice is okay.

    “Hey!” Lauren yells at Clarice, who is barely conscious. “Where is my dad?”

    “Lauren, calm down,” Lisa says.

    “Since when did you become the calm one?” I ask.

    “Hey! Their dad got shot! They might not even see him ever again,” she replies.

    “And she’s back,” I say, rolling my eyes.

    Lauren starts doing something that is a mixture, of screaming and crying.

    “Now, look what you did!” I yell.

    “You wouldn’t have done anything better.” Lisa says.

    I ignore her. We have bigger fish to fry right now.

    “What just happened?” Caitlin says, trying to figure out the series of events that just occurred. “Where are we?”  

    “This is our headquarters.” the man, I figured out his name is John, said.

    “Where is my dad?” Andy practically demands more than asks.

    “We need to go back,” Lauren says walking up to John. “Please.”

    “Just hang on!” John says. I can tell that he’s a little overwhelmed.

“Hang on?” Caitlin asks, her eyes wide with fear. “My husband is in that warehouse!”

“W-we have to go back for him,” Andy says. I walk up to him and I grab his hand and I hold it.

“He was shot, we have to go back,” Lauren says, again.

“Dude, they have to go back to their dad,” Lisa says to John. “If they don’t, then their heads will basically explode.”

I look at Lisa, who has a normal expression on her face. “You just can’t stop, can you?”

“Hey, I’m trying to help these kids find their dad,” she says. “I don’t see you doing anything.”

I walk up to her, anger in my eyes. “You want me to do something. I’ll do something.” As I say that, the area around us shakes. I can feel the room about to crumble to pieces.

“Woah, sis.” Lisa says. “Calm down.”

John, who is pretending that our argument didn’t happen, says “Right now, we need to take care of Clarice.”

I look over to Clarice, who is pale and sickly. Marcos and John help her up to her feet and they basically drag her to the next room.

“Where are you taking her?” Caitlin asks.

“Please,” Andy says. “You got to help us. Can you get us back to my dad?”

“It hurts.” Clarice mumbles. I feel so bad for her. “I’ve never gone that far before.” After that, she goes unconscious.

“Okay, here,” Marcos says, laying Clarice on a wooden bench.

“No no no no,” Lauren says.

“Give her some space,” Marcos says.

“You’ve got to wake her up,” Andy says.

“He is, stupid,” Lisa says.

I turn to her. “Okay, you gotta stop. He just got separated from his dad. You know how it felt to lose dad. And mom.” I say.