Chapter 14

Ellana

    This is it. The moment we have been anticipating. The time we save Reed and Lorna. So the plan is that Andy and Lauren break the tires on the truck that’s holding Reed and Lorna. Then, that’s when John and Marcos get Reed and Lorna and Clarice will portal them through. Lisa and I are here in case anything goes wrong.

    Lauren is looking over the bridge that the truck will be going under.

    “It’s Sunday.” she says.

    “Yeah, it’s Sunday. We know that.” Lisa says. I hit her on the arm. She looks at me and mouths “what”.

    “You okay?” Caitlin asks.

    “Yeah,” Lauren answers. “The football team’s fundraiser breakfast was this morning.” she chuckles sadly. “I was supposed to make corn muffins. This isn’t corn muffins.”

    While we are waiting for the truck to come, I talk to Lisa.

    “How are you feeling?” I ask, without looking at her.

    Lisa shrugs her shoulders. “I don’t know. I just want to get this thing over with.”

    I turn to her. “What’s with you lately? You’ve been so…negative.”

    “Sis, you know I’m always like this.” she says.

    “I know, I know. But, aren’t you excited that we are going to rescue Reed and Lorna?” I ask.

    Lisa nods. “But, I-uh. it’s nothing.”

    “Okay.” I say. “But if you want to talk about it, you know I’m always here for you.”

    Lisa smiles. “Thanks for understanding.”

    “No problem.” I say.

    “Hey.” Lauren says. “They’re coming. This is it.”

    Lisa and I get into positions.

    Lauren turns to her little brother. “Andy, go!”

    He hesitates. “Okay, I can’t do it.”

    “What do you mean, you can’t do it?” she asks. “You have to.”

    “I-it’s, I don’t know.” Andy says. “It’s moving. It’s just different.”

    “Oh my God.” Lisa says, groaning and rolling her eyes. “I can’t believe this right now.”

    “Lisa, chill.” I say, a hand on her shoulder.

    “You can do this.” Caitlin says. “We believe in you. Okay, just-just calm down.”

    “I’m trying.” Andy says.

    “Mom, stop babying him.” Lauren says.

    “Lauren, she’s just trying to build confidence.” I say.

    “Lauren?” Caitlin says.

    She ignores both of us and talks some sense into her brother. “Hey, you’re the reason we’re in this mess, and now you can’t even help us get out.”

    “Woah!” Lisa says. “Too harsh.” Aren’t you the one who hates him?

    “What are you doing?” Andy asks. “Back off!”

    “Maybe those bullies were right.” she continues. “Maybe you are nothing. If they’re wrong, then prove it.”

    And just like that, my boyfriend destroys the tires with the help of Lauren shields. The truck stops. My jaw drops open and Lisa claps in acceptance.