Chapter 17

Ellana

    It’s official. Lisa is twenty-one! Damn, my sister is now able to drink. She is now a grown woman in my eyes. I can’t believe it. It’s like it was just yesterday she was taking care of my six year old little self. I can’t believe it. Wait, I said that already. Whatever. I’m getting way too emotional just thinking about it.

Everyone starts to sing “Happy Birthday” when Caitlin comes in with a cupcake with red frosting. It’s red because, that’s who Lisa is. She is basically the definition of red from her fire to literally her hair. So why not put a little red frosting on a cupcake? So after Lisa blows out the candle, we give her gifts. Lorna goes first, giving her the most badass red leather jacket I have ever seen in my life. I almost grabbed it out of her hands.

“Is it your birthday, sis?” Lisa asks. I rolled my eyes but it’s only because I’m jealous of her getting such a beautiful jacket. Note to self: when birthday comes around, beg everyone to get me a beautiful purple leather jacket.

Marcos was next. He gave her a book. Nothing special. Just a book. I feel like Lisa only took it because of how similar she and Marcos are. Light and fire. It makes sense. It’s kinda sweet. Caitlin give her a nice pair of shoes. A random gift but still a good one. It’s hard to really get her anything special when you are a runaway.

I’m last. I wanted to save my gift for last to make things more special. I got her a necklace with a fire emblem on it. It’s cheesy but it’s the only thing I could get in such a short amount of time.

“Aww, sis.” Lisa says, holding the necklace. “It’s beautiful.”

“Yeah, yeah,” I say. “It’s a little something I got for the coolest sister ever.”

“Thanks, Ella,” she says, pulling me in for a side hug.

“Shut up!” Lisa says.

“I didn’t say anything,” I say.

“What?” she asks.

“You told me to shut up.” I say.

Lisa says nothing.

“Hey, sis,” I say. “Are you okay? You’ve been acting weird since we’ve been on the run.”

“I’m fine,” she says. “Don’t worry about me.”

That’s the problem, Lisa. I’m your little sister. It’s my job to worry.

I nod. “Okay, just making sure.”

“Okay!” Marcos says. “Anyone who is under twenty-one needs to go in the other room!”

The drawbacks of not being twenty-one.

I leave to the other room to hang out with Lauren and Andy. I think Andy is talking to me but I don’t listen to him. I’m worried about Lisa. She has been super off. I know that she can’t go back to her normal life. But I know that something is bothering her. I’m worried for her. I didn’t want to say anything because it’s her birthday and a very important one at that. But I think something it wrong with her.

I hope that it’s just all in my head.

Elisabeth

    Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday to me! Why? Because it’s my birthday and I’m twenty-one finally! No dream demon is gonna haunt me today! And I’m gonna have a cupcake and presents! I love my birthday because it’s all about the best person ever, me!

    People sing happy birthday as Caitlin brings me a cupcake with red frosting. She knows me too well! Red is my color. Not because of my hair or my powers, but because I look amazing in red. I have a red jacket and some clothes but nothing striking.