Chapter 24

Ellana

    I wake up in the Underground. I’m in my usual bed. I sit up and I see Lauren, smiling back at me.

    “Hey, E,” she says. “You okay?”

    I nod, the headache I had no longer there. “I’m fine.”

    Lauren give me a hug. “I was so worried about you.”

    “I’m fine. I’m fine.” I smile. I feel like Lauren is my sister at a moment. Wait a minute, speaking of sisters. “Where’s Lisa?”

    Lauren lets go of me and frowns. “Oh, she’s not here.”

    “What are you talking about?” I ask. “She was there last night, where is she?”

    “She never came back.” Lauren explains. “She thought you still hated her.”

    What? I don’t hate Lisa. I mean I was mad but… “Why did she think that I hated her?”

“You did yell at her,” Lauren points out.

“But I don’t hate her.” I say. “I mean she’s the only family I have left. Why would I want to hate her?”

“Hey, E,” Lauren says. “Breathe, calm down. She’s going to be okay. She told me to tell you that she is safe and with Esme and her sisters.”

“Esme.” I say, in disgust. “I feel like the moment she walked here, everything changed. She ruined everything.”

“I know.” Lauren says. “But, you have to understand that not everything is going to be the way you want them to be. But remember that I’ll be there for you the entire way.”

I smile. “Thanks.” I go in for another hug. I love Lauren as if she’s another sister of mine but the thing is, she’s not. I’m not her sister. I can’t be. Lauren has her brother, her mom, her dad, her grandparents. All I have is Lisa. And because of my selfishness, I lost her. Just like I lost Mom and Dad.

    I lost my family in flicker of fire.

***

We did a service for Sonya’s funeral. I stand next to Lauren and Andy because I don’t want to be in front of the “grave” with flowers on it. I know for sure that I’ll cry. I can still hear the gunshot that killed her. The feeling of the gun on my head. The tears that fell down my face. All of it. I can still feel it. Like it never left me.

John gave a beautiful speech about Sonya and how important she was to the Underground.

    I went into the Underground but I notice that someone followed me.

    I never had conversations with Reed before. Caitlin, yes but Reed? I guess he wanted to see if I was okay.

    “Hey, Ella.” he says.

    “Oh, hey Reed.” I say, avoiding eye contact.

    “Are you okay?” he asks.

    “God, sometimes you and Andy ask the same things. It’s kinda freaky.” I say, ignoring the question.

    Reed laughs softly. “Well, great minds think alike, right?”

    I smile. “Yeah. But seriously, you don’t have to worry about me. I’ll be fine.”

    “You have gone through so much things in your life a adult couldn’t even handle, let alone a teenager like you. You have gone through sorrow and pain and  yet you are still put together.” he explains.