Memory #1

I coughed up smoke, ashes surrounded me as my planet burned. The war had been raging for years, but we still stood strong.

We tried to keep the damage contained between Galifrey and Skaro. it didn't work out the best, but the damage was still short ranging. With only three planets being involved.

I ran with my best friend at my side, Theta, The Doctor. We were always running, even as kids we ran into trouble. This time we ran for our lives. Daleks shooting at us. Time lords dropping like flies, Daleks exploding nearby. It was a gruesome war.

The city was raided, smash, completely destroyed. It was the safest place. We could hide in the building and come up with another strategy. We made it to a building and I turned to Theta, "So, what's the plan this time?"

"Don't die." He nodded his head. As if that were an actual plan.

I rolled my eyes, "That's a wish list, how are we gonna not die?"

He bites his lip, "Um, You come at them from behind, I draw their fire. You can shoot through the ventilation in the back."

"That's how you fight Sontarans, Idiot. Daleks you aim for the eye." 

"I know that, I fire at the eyes while you fire at the ventilation. We could get lucky and they'll explode." His plan required too much luck. 

"No, bad idea."

He rose an eyebrow at me, "Any better plan?"

I solemnly shook my head no.

"That's what I thought." He looked to the Daleks, "On three."

"Three!" He charged at the Daleks and I snuck up behind it. Or at least attempted to.

The Daleks shot at his, narrowly missing him as the Doctor shot back. Three were out, two to go.

I shot at the back of one. It turned to look at me. The Doctor shouted and charged at the Dalek, shooting rapidly.

The Dalek shot him, at the stomach. It caused him to drop, which caused rage to fill me. I shot them, they all died, then ran to the Doctor.

I got to my knees to support his head, "Hey, no. Your supposed to be the calm one. I am the reckless one."

The Dalek had hurt him too badly, his regeneration wasn't working. "Come on, we had too good a run for it to be over. Yeah? Come on, you'll be good, just walk it off." Tears burned my eyes.

"It was a good run, sadly all good things come to an end." His head dropped, eyes stayed open. He was no longer breathing when I screamed his name.

I lost my husband, and my hearts broke in too.

I lost my mercy, I shot recklessly, not caring who I hit anymore as I ran to the council building. I went down to the archives and found a menacing box. The Monument. I left the capitol quickly, running back to the beginning, where the Doctor and I met in the first place. Where we had gotten married. I placed the monument and ignored the warning behind me, it was in the shape of the Doctor, and I couldn't stand to look at him. 

This would be the second time I was letting him down. "No more." I wouldn't let him down ever again, I wouldn't let the Daleks win ever again. No more.

I had asked for a big red button, and that was what I was shown. I got on my knees, "No More." I slammed the button, and was fired back. The curse of the Monument was that whoever used it shall live with their grief. I was blasted to the Tardis with a planet as another destination. I didn't know which one or care. The blast had damaged me enough to cause me to regenerate, I didn't care how I looked anymore. I just wanted to forget.

I pulled out my fob watch and hooked it up to my head. After I active it, I left the Tardis with my last few seconds of consciousness, then everything went black again. The next time I woke, i would be a witness, and only that.

That was how I got the name Iris, not after an innocent flower, but after the eye of the witness that survived.