Closing Time III

*Doctor's POV*

"Doctor, but I think you look ever so sweet, you and your partner and the baby."

Partner. Yes, I like it. Is it better than companion?

"Companion sounds old-fashioned." I spoke that aloud, didn't I? "There's no need to be coy these days."

Coy? "You've not noticed anything unusual around here lately, Val?"

"Well-"

"Yes, yes?" Please go on. Anything to help me get back Iris.

"Mary Warnock saw Don Petheridge snogging Andrea Groom outside the Conservative Club on his so-called day off golfing." Not what I meant.

"Yeah. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all." I air-kiss Val and move away before she grabs my attention again.

"And then there's that silver rat thing."

"What?" Val walks me to the toy section and described the 'toy' she was looking for as I dropped under the table to scan the area, "A silver rat, glowing red eyes."

"Yes. Then it zizzed off. I wanted to get one for my nephew, but stockroom say there's no such item."

"I bet they do." Iris probably noticed it too, it would explain how she got to the ship first... But, how?

"Well, what was it then? Answer me that." I really can't tell you.

"Whoa!" Craig! I said investigate, not break everything. That was my job!

Val looked startled. "What's all that hullabaloo?"

"Er, that'll be my partner with the er-" I dashed after Craig and the cries of Stormy.

Craig has knocked over a rack of frillies, George looked upset, "Make a habit of hanging round in women's wear, sir?"

"I'm sorry. Oh, shush. Alfie, come on." Don't shush him, he is scared for you! And of George, he is a rather large man.

"He's a pervert. Look at him."

"Hello, everyone. Here to help."

"Hello, Doctor." George and Kelly both smile at me. I love making people smile, it's a nice change.

"Hello. Has anyone seen a silver rat?" With the blank faces, I assume, "No. Okay. Long shot. I see you've met my friend, Craig. Nice uniform, George."

"Thank you, Doctor. If he's with you, that's all right, then."

Craig makes a face at Kelly, "Sorry. I thought he was hassling me, because that's the last thing I need today, because Shona's not turned up, right, so I'm doing twice the work for the same money, if you don't mind."

"Shush." They all stop talking, except for Craig, I already used it once on him.

"Please teach me how to do that."

Wait, I missed something, "No. Hold on. Un-shush. Shona?"

"My supervisor. She's meant to be in today but never showed up."

"Well, where did you last see her?" Maybe that's how Iris got there.

***

"How do you do that? It's a power, isn't it. Some sort of weird alien hypnotic power. I bet you excrete some sort of gas that makes people love you."

"Would that I could, Craig." I look through a curtain and a woman screams, "Er, sorry, Madam. I'd try that in red if I were you."

"I'm right though, aren't I?"