Chapter 8. Bear

Waking up that morning sucked. Especially with my eye.

I limped over to a barrel with water and just dumped my entire head in it. After about fifteen seconds I rose up for air.

"That black eye looks good on you."

Micah.

"Thanks. Needed one." I say, putting my hat on and walked towards him.

"If I were you I'd get ready to leave." He said quietly.

"What... do you mean?" I ask.

"I have a feeling the Pinkertons are gonna catch up to us any time now. And we always have to be ready to leave." Micah explained.

I've heard of the Pinkertons slightly. And for our group they weren't good.

"Oh..." I lean against a post.

He looks at me and softly caresses my cheek.
I felt my cheeks heat up instantly. I wasn't sure if I liked Micah like that.
But he was just so smooth talking and had a good way of making me feel happy.

"Y'know Robin, I can't help but feel like we have a connection." Micah whispers. I look out of the corner of my eye and see people walking by and staring at us, whispering, giggling.

"Micah, people are.... looking." I shudder.

He leans a bit closer to me. This is when I try to wiggle out of his tight grasp.

"Don't fight this." He says.

"Micah, this..." I don't know what to say.

He lets go and walks behind me with a smile, going outside of camp.

I slide down and sit on the ground. What the hell just happened?

I look feel my heart that's beating faster than a horse running.

I get up, wipe the dust off me, and start my day by some coffee. All the while thinking about what had happened.

I don't know if he's just confusing me on purpose or what.
I hear heavy footsteps and see Mr. Morgan.

"Mornin'."

"Hey, Arthur." I say groggily.

"You and Micah had a fight or somethin'?" Arthur got himself some coffee.

"No. He just wanted to tell me something. Thas' all." I take a sip of my drink.

"Yeah sure looked like he just wanted to talk." Arthur mused.

I look him in his eyes.

"You certainly have pretty eyes, Mr. Morgan. Women's eyes." I smile a bit.

He scoffs, pours out his coffee, and walks away. I see him shaking his head.

I chuckle.

Once I'm done with that, I go to Ace, planning on hunting.

When I hop on him I see Arthur getting on his horse.

At first its just him and then he reaches down and brings Jack up from the other side with one hand.

Jack happily sits in front of him.

"Let's go, Uncle Arthur." He squeaked.
Arthur gave a soft chuckle and turned around to ride off.

I saw him have a fishing pole so it's not hard to guess where they went. Jack is probably the sweetest little thing I've seen.
I turn and ride off too, going down a separate trail.

Time to track.

I focus on some fresh rabbit tracks. Looking hard I slowly walk ahead, not losing sight. But then the rabbit tracks are trampled over with something. Different than a deer or a coyote.
Couldn't be a wolf, they're not that far down here.

I was about to come to a conclusion and get the hell out of there, but almost six rabbits ran past me as if the devil was after their tail.

I turned to run but before I could even take another step the beast that made those tracks had barreled me over with one swift act of its paw.

The grizzly bear towered over me, angry that I was using his hunting grounds.

I tried to get up but the bear was soon on top of me, scratching at my arms. Then he bit right down on my ribcage and threw me around a bit. I screamed in pain as I felt him tear through my flesh. I felt my gun in my hand but was trying not to get my face eatin' off.

I shot a bullet in the air, causing it to back up for a second but charge again. This time I had my bearings and shot the creature in the arm. It roared a terrible roar and then stared at me for a bit.

Then turned around and walked away.
I lifted my shirt and saw two punctures on my right side and three on my left side. They didn't bleed as much as my arm did though. I got on my horse, literally almost screaming every step, and headed towards camp.

On my way there Arthur and Jack passed me.

"Holy shieeet." Arthur mumbled, looking at my arm.

"Bear." I smiled painfully.

Once we finally arrive at camp, Arthur helps Jack off his horse and then gets off himself. He walks over and offers to help me. I take it, God knows I need it, and slide off. I let out a groan of pain.

"Don't hunt on their trail." Arthur warned, helping me keep steady. He sat me at my tent and took a look at me.

"You.... are somethin' else." He chuckled. I shrugged and grabbed some torn up cloth to help my wounds stop bleeding.

"Im'a go talk to Dutch." Arthur's face turned real serious.

I hope everything is okay.

----
Warning: the future of these chapters are spoilers and, as painful as itll be, im going with the story because i dont wanna be that writer that changes a whole plot. Its just distasteful.

The future is gonna be a rollercoaster of emotions :')