Chapter 23. Finally.

(Guys... This is a lemon. But its not gonna happen for awhile in this chapter cuz serious shit needs to be done. Also https://discord.gg/BJKNaG join da discord server)

I had eavesdropped in a conversation that Hosea was having with Strauss.

Strauss lends people money and then sends somebody to go rough them up a bit and collect their debts.

It was such a terrible business to me. I remember...
When I was just a little girl, my Mama couldn't suffer the loss of...

And my Pa wasn't at the house when somebody came knockin' at the door.
Mama opened it and immediately gasped in fear.

The man was large. A big mean burly man. He had mean lookin' eyes and a rope in his hand.

"Time for collecting." I remember his clear, deep, voice demand.

My Mama had to give him her ring, some food, and all the money we had.

We couldn't eat for three days until Papa worked up enough money to buy a meal for us.

We didn't even borrow that much money.
I remember him coming back but... it's kinda fuzzy at what happened.

Hurts my mind almost if I try to think about it.

But after he had visited, we couldn't eat for... I dont know how long anymore.

We never borrowed money on his second visit. He just took a likin' to Mama.
Papa was a cole miner so's he wasn't around much.

I shake my head to get rid of the memories.

Everyone here probably had a bad life. Or are having a bad life.

What we're doing...
Feels wrong but....

"Robin."

I look up and see Javier.

"Howdy." I nod.

He hands me a knife.

"I remember you saying you would like to practice throwing knives. I could teach you." He offers.

I faintly remember the conversation of me wanting to learn how to throw knives like Arthur and Charles.
Didn't know Javier could.

"Yeah I'd like that." I get up.

We walk a little from camp and he stops once we're a little far from an old dead tree.

He gets behind me and holds up the knife and grabs my hand.

"Hold your fingers here." He positions my fingers.

"Okay." I say, feeling excited about learning to do this.

Not only will it be handy, but badass as well.

"Don't cut your fingers on the blade. But hold them on the blade and just use enough power to get it to your target." Javier pulls out his own knife and in a swift motion he throws it at the tree, hitting it and making the knife stick.

"Looks simple." I say and hold the knife how he shows me.

I yank it back and then throw it. It misses by like a foot.

"That was shit." I say, making Javier chuckle.

"You'll get better. Here-"

Javier pulls another knife and positions my fingers over the blade. He holds my shoulder with one hand and my hand with the other.

"Throw just.... like that." He motions.

"Okay." I say.

I wait a few moments and then throw it.