Chapter 9. Bye bye, Valentine.

I was laying peacefully at my tent. Hearing the birds call to one another and the soft rushing of a stream not too far away.

"Hey, Aunt Robin!"

I opened one eye. Jack.

"Hi, bud." I stretched.

"Whatcha' doin?" Jack sat down by me and hugged his knees.

I pulled up to a sitting position and smiled at Jack.

"Just resting." I say.

Jack holds out his little hand and opens it.

"This is for uh for you!" Jack smiled happily.

I blinked and took what he held. It was a small piece of paper with a crudely drawn horse that looked like Ace.

I took it and stared at it.

"Thank you, Jack. This is... beautiful." I smiled. Jack nodded and shyly skipped away.
I gently touched the paper, running my finger along the charcoal lines.
It was so darling of him to do this. I folded the paper and put it in my front pocket, buttoning it closed tightly.

I got up and walked over to the campfire and poured myself some coffee.

I took a sip but before I could even swallow it, somebody bumps into me and makes my gag reflex trigger. Not the first time it hasn't happened. (That wasnt a sex joke but ok XD)

"Oh, sorry."

"Micah!" I hissed, recognizing the sarcastic apology.

I threw my cup to the ground and whirled around, spitting on Micah's boots. Maybe I shouldn't be such a-

He instantly grabbed the collar of my shirt and shoved me backwards
I tried to stand but unfortunately my bad leg had caused me to stumble downwards.

I fell on my side but quickly jumped up as fast I could on my bad leg and then I slap Micah with my hand.

I heard lots of confused shouts, murmurs, and a few chuckles.

Micah was about to rear back with a good slug to my jaw but somebody grabs his arm.

"Let it go, Micah."

"You let go, cowpoke!" Micah hisses. I see Arthur.

Then Micah used his other hand to give me a good shove.

I manage to keep my balance.

"Asshat!" I screamed, rushing to attack Micah. This time arms were put around my waist.

"Calm down!"
I recognize Charles' voice.

"No!" I hiss.

"What the hell?!"

Me and Micah stop dead in our tracks.

"You and you! Micah go finish those damn chores. Robin, go with Arthur and calm the hell down!" Dutch yells. I gotta admit he scares me.

Arthur let go of Micah and then Charles let go of me.
I rush towards Micah, anger getting the best of me.
At the last second, Arthur grabs around my waist and lifts me over his shoulder.

"LETMETHEFUCKGO!" I screamed.

"Shut up." Arthur walked out of camp and then threw me on the ground near the river.

"Arthur!" I grunted as I fell on the ground.

"What just happened?" Arthur asked.

"Micah's an ass." I growl.

Arthur rolls up his sleeves, walking near the stream to take a drink. He took his hat off and sighed.

I never noticed how strong he was. He wasn't bad lookin' either.
That's aside the point.

"Yes we know he's an ass, but can y'all not cause a commotion in camp? Might as well prepare your neck for a noose." Arthur puts his hat back on.

"Hush up!" I growled.

Arthur stood face to face with me.

"Listen here, girly. You're a woman and I don't particularly like picking on women, however you don't disrespect me or I will knock you harder than Micah ever did." He says in a low voice.

I stared him right in the eye.

"I like that attitude." I whisper back.
Arthur's face looked serious but his eyes had amusement in them.

"You are some woman." He chuckled and turned to go back to camp.

"You're some man." I let out a low whistle making Arthur glance back.

"Stop." He had a small smile on his face.
I give him a wink and he turns to camp, shaking his head.
Arthur's fun to poke at. His reactions  are different than what other men would react.

I wash my face and head back to camp.

I see Arthur saddling his horse.

"Where ya goin?" I ask.

"Gotta meet Dutch. I'll be back soon." Arthur assures and gets on his horse. I wink at him again when I catch his eye.

"That kind of foolery will getcha killed, Miss Robin." Arthur chuckles.

"I'll be killed doin' something fun. You need to loosen up a bit!" I call.

"Yeah yeah." Arthur shrugs and heads down the path.

I lean against a tree and watch him leave and then head back in camp.

When I walked past Mary-Beth and Karen I heard them a-giggling.

"What's so funny?" I stop and put my hands on my hips.

"The way you took so fast to Arthur." Mary-Beth said.

I tilt my head.

"What makes ya think that?" I say, a small smile on my face.

"I saw you two sittin' so close together your noses was almost touchin." Karen laughed.
I got a bit flustered.

"No we wasn't." I scoff.

Karen shrugs.

"Some romance is shy!" Mary-Beth said with a gazed look.

"Okay okay." I shake my head and walk away, chuckling. Silly girls.

I didn't even have time to sit down at my camp before I heard several shots and horses hooves.

"What the hell?!" I hop up.

I see Dutch, Arthur, John and somebody on the back of John's horse, groaning in pain.

I walked around them just like everybody else.

"Everyone start packing! Now!" Dutch commanded.

I didn't ask questions I just ran to get everything important to me and to pack it.

I was terrified...  What's gonna happen now?