-Two-

I couldn't stop thinking about Dom. The way he looked at me, he was so nice. But he had a girlfriend, who seemed like an absolute bitch, and I had to remember that.

"Honey, what do you want to eat?" My mom asked me. I glanced at the menu and tried to find the cheapest thing.

"The chicken tenders and water." I said. She just looked at me.

"Ash, I know you hate chicken. And I know you would rather have soda than water. It's your birthday, get what you want to eat." I just rolled my eyes and smiled.

I decided to get a turkey club sandwich and some coke. I wish we could be like this forever, me and my mom. Going out to eat, not having to worry about money, being normal. But like every good thing, it has to come to and end sometime.

"So what do you think of the new neighbors?" My mom asked me and I almost choked on my drink. I set down my drink looked at my mom.

"What do you mean? I think they're great, just that Zoey is a little strange. But Dom seems pretty cool, really energetic." I laughed.

My mom smirked at me and then said, "Yeah, you got that right." She paused and then continued. "I saw the way that you and Dom were looking at each other. You like him don't you?"

I rolled my eyes. "Mom, he has a girlfriend. Even if she's kinda a bitch, she's still with him. And Even if I did like him, he's almost three years older than me. Oh and yea, the asshole who lives in our house would never let me have a boyfriend or even a friend."

"Sweetie, I know you have friends." She said.

"Yea, a couple but I can never hang out with them because if he were to find out, I would never be able to see them, ever again. He would probably make me transfer schools, and I actually like the school I'm going to. And there's only a year left."

"We'll get out of this one day, I promise you. And if I can't get out, I'll make sure that you make it out." She said and I shook my head.

"Mom, don't talk like that, it's either both of us get out, or neither of us." She nodded and looked down at the table. "Mom I promise you. We will both get out, even if it's the last thing I do."

Finally our food came out and I smiled. It smelled so good, better than the frozen pizzas and tv dinners that we ate every day.

We continued to eat our food, making small talk every so often. When we were done, my mom told the waiter that it was my birthday and they all came out and sang happy birthday to me. I blushed from embarrassment and they brought me out a slice of cake with ice cream.

"Here mom have some." I offered her some of the cake.

"No honey, it's yours."

I shook my head, "Even though it may be my birthday, remember that you're the one that gave birth to me 17 years ago today. It's a day for you too. Now eat some cake." We laughed and she finally ate some of the cake.

Once we were done eating, we paid and went out to the car. "Mom, why can't we just leave. We could leave right now. Drive away." I said while getting buckled.

"Ash, it's because he'll find us. He has his ways, trust me. When you were around 2, I tried to leave. I got all the way to Nevada, we were staying in a hotel, and his men found us. Honey, if we could leave, we would. I promise you we'll get out of this."

"Why don't we tell the police? Isn't that their job? To keep the people of California safe?" She shook her head.

"Ashley, I've tried. He has friends who work on the police force. When I tried to escape with you, I told one of the police officers, and he couldn't care less that I had an abusive husband. The only way we're going to get out of this is if you and I work together, only you and I." I nodded, and the rest of the drive home was silent.

When we began to pull into the driveway, she shut the lights of the car off, taking every precaution to not wake the asshole up.

When we were Infront of the house, she shut the car off and we got out, making our way to the front door. My mom slowly opened the door, careful not to make a sound. When we walked into the house, it was silent. Too silent. The tv, which was on when we left was not turned off, and the chair that was occupied was now empty. Me and my mom both looked at each other and she held a finger up to her lips. She started to walk into the living room but I reached out and grabbed her hand. She looked back at me and I shook my head. She nodded and continued to walk, letting go of my hand.

My mom disappeared into the living room and then reappeared back into the hallway, where I was. All of a sudden the light turned on in the hallway that led downstairs.

"Where the hell were you guys!!" A grogy voice echoed from downstairs. My Mom and I both stiffened at the sound and finally a figure appeared at the top of the stairs. He grabbed my mother and yanked her away from me. "Tell me where you guys were, right now!!"

"I took Ashley out for her birthday. We went to the park, just to spend some time together. I'm sorry, I should have asked first." My mother said, on the verge of tears. It pained me to watch this.

"Is this true Ashley?"

"Yes, yes it is. It was never pur intention to make you mad." I said, my hands shaking.

"Go to your room." He said and pointed up the stairs. I have my mom one last look and I made my way up the stairs. When I was there I closed the door and locked it. I walked over to the window and looked out at the world. Some may say that the night is the time when it isn't safe, but for me it's the opposite. The most unsafe place to be, is safer than being in this house.

I tried to block out the sounds from downstairs. I could only imagine what he must have been doing to her.

After a couple of hours, there was a knock at my door. "Ash it's me." I jumped up and ran to the door. I unlocked it and hugged my mom. I quickly let her in and locked the door.

"Mom I'm so sorry." She shook her head and wiped away my tears.

"There's no need to be sorry Ash. All that matters is that you're safe."

I fell asleep to the sound of my mom humming, just like I had when I was a little girl. Tonight was worse than any other night, and it was only going to get worse. This had to end.